Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Opera is a reliable browser and never disappoints when you are using it.
- However, users have been facing insufficient permissions errors when they download a file in the Opera browser.
- This guide lists some of the best methods that will help you resolve the error and get back the smooth downloading experience on Opera.
Several user reports confirm that they are facing issues downloading files in the Opera browser. Notably, the error reads Opera has insufficient permissions to download this file.
We download files from the internet quite often. Imagine a situation where you want to download an important file in Opera only for it to throw insufficient permissions to download errors. This could be quite frustrating.
Because of this error, you won’t be able to download any files using the Opera browser. While the issue has been reported by several users, there doesn’t seem to be a specific reason for this issue to be triggered.
With multiple features that help users download files in a breeze on Opera, you expect everything to work smoothly. One quick fix that you can try would be to open the Opera browser as an administrator, and check if this fixes the issue or not.
Whatever the case may be, in this guide, we will give you multiple solutions that will help you fix the Opera download failure because of an insufficient permissions issue. Let us check out the guide.
What does couldn’t download no permissions mean in Opera?
Well, there are many reasons why you might come across a failed download in Opera because of insufficient permissions.
The error simply means that you haven’t granted all the necessary permissions to the Opera browser, and the error is genuine.
Apart from these, below are some common reasons you would come across where Opera downloads failed because of insufficient permissions.
- Your browser is outdated
- VPN or adblocker is causing issues
- Corrupt cache files
- Problematic extensions
- The download location is not accessible or available
- Your antivirus is blocking the download because of security reasons
All of these or just one of them could prevent you from downloading files in the Opera browser. Hopefully, this guide has some effective solutions that will help you fix the problem.
That being said, be sure to check your browser for the latest updates in order to avoid these issues while you’re browsing online.
OperaNavigate confidently on this up-to-date browser for faster and fully private results.
How do I fix Opera insufficient permissions download error?
1. Use incognito mode
- Open the Opera browser.
- Click on the Opera logo at the top-left and select the New private window option. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + Shift + N to open a new incognito window.
- Visit the website.
- Try downloading the file in private mode.
In Incognito mode, or private window in Opera, the redundant scripts that may be causing the download problem are removed. Try the above method and check if this fixes the issue or not.
2. Disable extensions
- Launch the Opera browser.
- Click on the Opera logo.
- Select Extensions > Extensions.
- Disable all extensions and try downloading the file.
Sometimes extensions can interfere with the downloads and trigger errors like the Opera download insufficient permissions problem. You can try disabling all extensions and check if the file is getting downloaded or not.
3. Check app permission
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Select Privacy & security from the left pane.
- Under App permissions, click on Downloads folder.
- Toggle on Downloads folder access and Let apps access your downloads folder options.
In case you haven’t permitted Opera to access the downloads folder, it will throw the insufficient download permissions error.
Even after granting the necessary permissions, if this doesn’t work, then instead of hitting the download link, right-click on it and select Save As and select a different download location.
4. Adjust site settings
- Open Opera.
- Click on the Opera logo at the top left.
- Select Settings.
- Click on Privacy & security from the left pane.
- Select Site Settings.
- Expand Additional Settings and select Insecure content.
- Add the URL of the website you are trying to download files from under Allowed to show insecure content.
Opera, by default, protects its users from viruses and malware from getting into their PCs by avoiding them from downloading files from unprotected or insecure websites.
To fix your problem, you can simply follow the steps above and add the website from which you are trying to download the file and check if this resolves the error or not.
5. Disable Firewall
- Open the Start menu.
- Search for Windows Security and open it.
- Click on Firewall & network protection from the side panel.
- Select your network.
- Toggle Microsoft Defender Firewall to off.
Windows Security prevents you from downloading files from insecure websites and protects you from malicious attacks.
However, they can interfere and cause issues when downloading files from a legit source. You can disable Windows Security or any other antivirus software you have installed on your PC and check if that fixes the error or not.
How to increase download performance in Opera?
Although, for the most part, the download performance depends on the internet speed you are using to download files using the Opera browser, there are a few tips that you can apply and get better download performance:
- Clear browser cache: The presence of corrupt cache files can often give rise to multiple issues one of which is slow download speeds. Clear browser cache and check if this improves performance or not.
- Update Opera browser: Make sure that you are running the latest version of the Opera browser and download it from the official website.
- Close unwanted tabs: You should make sure that you aren’t loading your Opera browser with multiple tabs. Close the unwanted tabs when downloading files.
- Close parallel apps: If there are other apps that are performing the downloading process, you should stop them to enhance the downloading speed.
We hope that the above solutions helped you fix the Opera download insufficient permissions error.
Let us know in the comments, which of the above solutions helped you resolve the error or if you applied a different trick to get rid of the error.