Overwolf is a popular software platform that allows the developers to create extensions for video games which are often available through the Overwolf App Store.
However, some developers have reported server connection error during Overwolf installation. Overowlf installer error usually occurs due to a third-party security program creating conflict with the software.
If you are also troubled by this error, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you fix Overwolf server connection error in Windows.
How do I fix the Overwolf server connection error?
1. Check your anti-virus and firewall
- Your Anti-virus program can prevent the Overwolf installer from installing on your computer.
- Since the program is safe to download and install, try disabling your anti-virus program temporarily.
- From the taskbar, right-click on the Anti-virus program icon and select close/disable.
- Run the installer and check if the installation is completed.
Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Disable the Firewall that is built-into your anti-virus program.
- To disable Windows Defender Firewall, do the following.
- Click on Start and select Setting.
- Go to Updates and Security.
- Click on Windows Security tab.
- Click on Firewall and Network Protection option.
- Select the currently active network. You will see the Active tag for the network.
- Under Windows Defender Firewall click the toggle switch to turn it off.
- Run the Overwolf installer and check if the server connection error is resolved.
- Make sure you enable the Windows Defender Firewall after installing the app.
2. Check for internet/service issue
- The server connection error can occur if the Overwolf servers are malfunctioning.
- Contact the support or open a ticket to check the service status.
- If the Overwolf servers are down, wait and try again after a while.
- Check your internet connection for issues.
- Overwolf installer requires a stable internet connecting to install the program.
3. Clean Overwolf data folder
- If you are trying to update the app, try cleaning the local app data folder to fix the issue.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the following location:
- Locate the Overwolf folder and delete it.
- Run the installer and check if the issue is resolved.
4. Reinstall Overwolf
- If the issue persists, try reinstalling Overwolf from the official website.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type control and click OK.
- From the Control Panel, go to Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select Overwolf and click on Uninstall.
- Wait for the program to uninstall successfully.
Overwolf server connection error is common and can occur due to several reasons including unstable internet connection, Overwolf server issues, anti-virus, and Firewall programs blocking access or even file corruption.
By following the steps in this article, you can fix the Overwolf installer error and start using the game extensions again.