How to fix Paperport 14 issues on Windows 10
- Run the compatibility troubleshooter
- End Paperport task in Task Manager
- Update Paperport to a newer version
- Run Paperport in compatibility mode
- Run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
- Check your Windows Theme
- Create a new user account
Unfortunately, the Paperport 14 app is not yet compatible with the Windows 10 OS, but there is a workaround to this issue. In this tutorial. we’ll show you what you can do to get the Paperport 14 app running in Windows 10 even if the manufacturer does not provide support on this operating system just yet.
There is an executable called “ppmv.exe” which we will try to disable and get your Paperport 14 up and running in Windows 10. So, follow the instructions below in the order they are described. Even though there is no support for this app in Windows 10, we will try to run it nevertheless.
UPDATE: Meanwhile, Nuance added Windows 10 support for Paperport. However, not all Paperport versions are fully compatible with Windows 10, so an upgrade may be necessary if Paperport 14 has stopped working.
SOLVED: Paperport 14 won’t open in Windows 10
1. Run the compatibility troubleshooter
- Right-click or hold tap on the “Paperport 14” executable installation file.
- Left-click or tap on the “Troubleshoot Compatibility” feature.
- After the process has finished, left click or tap on the “Troubleshoot program” feature.
- Now in the next window that appears, check the box next to “The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won’t install or run now”.
- Left-click or tap on the “Next” button to proceed.
- In the next window, you will need to select the previous version of Windows you know that the Paperport 14 app worked fine.
- Left-click or tap on the “Next” button again.
- Now you will need to follow the instructions on the screen to finish the installation of the “Paperport 14” app.
- After the installation has finished, choose the option “Yes, save these settings for this program”.
- After the changes are saved, you will need to left click or tap on the “Close” button and try to run your Paperport 14 application.
2. End Paperport task in Task Manager
- Press and hold the “Windows” button and the “X” button.
- From the menu that pops up, you will need to left click or tap on the “Task Manager” feature.
- Now you should have the Task Manager Windows in front of you.
- Left-click or tap on the “Processes” tab situated in the upper side of the “Task Manager” window.
- In the Processes tab left click or tap on the “ppmv.exe” file.
- After you selected it right-click or hold tap on it to bring up the sub-menu.
- From the menu left click or tap on the “End Task” option you have there.
- Close the Task Manager window.
- Try opening the Paperport 14 application now to see if it works.
- If it worked you will need to do this every time you want to run the Paperport 14 app.
3. Update Paperport to a newer version
As mentioned at the beginning of this guide, Paperport is now compatible with Windows 10, but not all versions will run smoothly on Microsoft’s OS.
If you are running Paperport 14.0 or even an older version, you need to upgrade the tool. Keep in mind that only version Paperport 14.5 works well within Windows 10.
4. Run Paperport in compatibility mode
Note: This method involves editing your Windows Registry. Operating changes on the Registry may trigger various issues on your computer, so proceed at your own risk. The best approach is to create a system restore point so that you can roll back to a previously functional version of Windows in case anything goes wrong.
Open Regedit and locate the following Paperport keys:
- ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionAppCompatFlagsLayers
- HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionAppCompatFlagsLayers
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareWow6432NodeMicrosoftWindows NTCurrent VersionAppCompatFlagsLayers
Make sure there’s a registry value on the right with PaprPort.exe. If not, edit the respective keys and add value.
5. Run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
If Paperport 14 is not responding on Windows 10, you can also the Program Compatibility troubleshooter. This tool helps you to fix general issues when running older apps and programs on newer Windows 10 versions. To open the troubleshooter, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > select and run the Compatibility troubleshooter.
6. Check your Windows Theme
If you’re using Windows high contrast theme on your computer, this may explain why Paperport 14 won’t load. In order to fix this issue, you need to disable the Windows High Contrast theme by going to Desktop > Personalization > Themes > Theme Settings > Uncheck the Windows High Contrast theme.
7. Create a new user account
If the issue persists and Paperport 14 fails to start, create a new user account. To do this, go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC. Create a new user account and check if this solved the problem.
There you have a few methods you can use to properly run the Paperport 14 application on your Windows 10 operating system.
If these steps did not work for you, I suggest posting a message on the official Nuance website about this issue to find out if there are any available updates on the application which you can try to install.
Also if you have any other questions regarding this article please write us in the comments section of the page situated below and I will help you further with this issue.