If you find yourself seeing the error message Your password may have expired or the remote PC might not accept blank passwords, you came to the right place.
This error occurs when trying to connect to a remote PC by using Remote Desktop, and a large number of users facing this issue are not happy about it.
Encountering this error message means that you will not be able to connect to the remote server, and the reasons for this error appearing are very varied.
There could be some issues with your Network Adapter, the machines you’re trying to connect might not be compatible because of different settings, or it could be caused by a conflict in installed drivers.
In today’s article, we will explore all the possible reasons for this error occurring, and we will discuss the best methods to apply in order to solve it.
Please follow the steps mentioned in this article in the order that they were written in. This will allow you to avoid making any changes that would impact your system badly.
How to fix expired or blank password issues on Remote Server
1. Run the Network Adapter troubleshooter
- Press the Win+X keys on your keyboard -> select Settings.
- Inside the Settings window -> click on the Update and Security button.
- Choose the Troubleshoot option from the left-side menu.
- Scroll inside the right side menu and choose Network Adapter.
- Select Run the troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
2. Change your server’s password and update your network drivers
As the error message starts with Your password may have expired, it could be the case that this happened.
In order to make sure this is not the element stopping you from accessing your remote servers, it is recommended that you update your password.
Follow these steps to update your network drivers:
- Press Win+X keys -> select Device Manager.
- Inside the Device Manager window -> toggle the Network adapters list.
- Right-click your Network driver -> choose Update driver.
- Press the option Automatically search for the best driver online -> wait for the process to complete.
- If the search didn’t find any new drivers, please follow the next method. 10 best anti-hacking software for Windows 10
3. Disable the Network Level Authentication option inside Remote Desktop
- Press Win+X keys on your keyboard -> choose Settings from the menu.
- Click on System -> choose the Remote Desktop option.
- Click the option Advanced settings found on the right.
- Un-tick the box next to Require computers to use Network Level Authentication to connect (recommended).
- Check to see if this fixes your issue.
Note: Please make sure to re-enable the Network Level Authentication option after you’ve completed the troubleshooting process.
4. Restart the Remote Desktop Services
- Press Win+R keys -> type services.msc -> press Enter.
- Inside the Services window -> right-click the Remote Desktop Services -> select Restart.
- Try to see if this method fixed your issue.
In today’s guide, we explored the best troubleshooting methods to apply in order to repair the Your password may have expired or the Remote PC might not accept blank passwords error.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you solve your issue. You can do so by using the comment section below.