- A PS3 controller is not working on your PC? This might be a connection or a driver problem.
- Try to reset your controller first as this simple tweak might get all things to normal again.
- Updating your drivers is a great way of fixing this issue fast if you use dedicated software.
- The antivirus may be blocking the controller so make sure you disable it at least temporarily.
Windows 10‘s beautiful versatility allows us to use hardware that’s not originally designed for PC on our computers.
One of the most popular third-party devices that Windows users love to use is the PlayStation 3 controller.
But since the process of connecting the PS3 controller to PC is not officially approved, there might be some issues on the way.
So, if you’ve encountered any issues upon connecting your PlayStation 3 controller to your PC, keep reading this article, and maybe you’ll find a solution.
What can do if the PS3 controller stops working on my PC?
1. Reset your controller
In some cases, the best solution is to just reset your PlayStation 3 controller. In fact, a few users confirmed this helped them overcome various PS3 controller issues.
If you’re not sure how to reset your controller, just look for the small button at the back of your controller. Press that button, and your controller will be reset.
2. Update your drivers
2.1 Update the drivers manually
- Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager from the list.
- Click on the Sound, video and game controllers to expand the section.
- Right-click the controller and select Update driver from the menu.
- Click on Search automatically for drivers, or hit the second option if you already have the driver on your PC.
- With the first option, the system will automatically search, find and install the correct driver.
- You also might get the message that you already have the best driver installed in which case, you can click on the Search for updated drivers on Windows Update option.
- That will bring up the update section, so click on View optional updates.
- Now click on Driver updates to expand the section, check the drivers you want to install and finally, hit the Download and install button below.
2.2 Update the drivers automatically
As you probably know, you need proper drivers in order to use the PS3 controller on PC. And in order for everything to work as intended, you need those drivers to be up to date.
Most of the time, you’re going to use Xbox 360 controller drivers, so make sure these are updated. In that regard, we can only recommend using the tool below.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system.There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC at risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Disable your current antivirus
Some people also said that their antivirus program interferes with the program they’re using for connecting the PS3 controller with PC. And that might be the case with you, as well.
This is perfectly understandable, as programs used for connecting the PS3 controller to PC are not verified by any vendor, therefore some antiviruses might recognize them as security threats.
If that’s the case, just disable your antivirus program while using the PS3 controller, and you should be good. But think about security first.
To make sure none of the programs you’re using are actually malicious, install the tool recommended below. It’s never safe to surf the Internet with your antivirus protection disabled.
4. Disable driver enforcement
- Go to Start Menu and open Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Choose Recovery from the left pane and select Restart Now under Advanced Startup.
- Your computer will restart, and you’ll get advanced startup options on the next boot. In these options, choose Troubleshoot.
- Now head to Advanced options.
- Then, go to Startup Settings.
- The computer will restart again and it will give you the list of startup settings you can change.
- You should look for Disable driver signature enforcement, to turn off this option, press F7.
- Restart your computer and boot normally.
Speaking of drivers, some PlayStation 3 controller drivers or programs might not work properly in Windows, simply because they’re not digitally signed by Microsoft.
To prevent this, you’ll need to disable digital driver enforcement. Feel free to apply the above steps in that regard.
If you’re having trouble opening the Settings app, take a look at this step-by-step guide to solve the issue quickly.
5. Make sure all redistributables are installed
Just like that’s the case with proper drivers, the PS3 controller also needs redistributables in order to function properly.
The most important ones are Visual C++ redistributables and the latest version of .NET Framework. So, make sure you have these installed on your computer.
6. Use another connection method
And finally, since there are more ways to connect your PS3 controller to your PC, maybe using a different method will solve the problem. The most common methods are via Motioninjoy and Bluetooth.
We explained how to use both methods in our detailed guide, so make sure to check it out.
That’s about it. We certainly hope at least one of these solutions helped you overcome the PS3 controller stopped working on the PC issue.
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, make sure to let us know in the comments area below.