- A PS3 controller that suddenly stops working on your PC is a sign that you need to act fast.
- Therefore, try to reset your controller or simply disable driver enforcement, as described below.
- You can also use one of the best driver update software tools to easily correct your current issue.
- You seem to be a fan of home video game consoles, so feel free to visit our PlayStation Hub.
Windows 10‘s beautiful versatility allows us to use hardware that’s not originally designed for PC on our computers.
One of the most popular third-party devices that Windows users love to use is the PlayStation 3 controller.
But since the process of connecting the PS3 controller to PC is not officially approved, there might be some issues on the way.
So, if you’ve encountered any issues upon connecting your PlayStation 3 controller to your PC, keep reading this article, and maybe you’ll find a solution.
What can do if the PS3 controller stops working on my PC?
1. Disable your current antivirus
Some people also said that their antivirus program interferes with the program they’re using for connecting the PS3 controller with PC. And that might be the case with you, as well.
This is perfectly understandable, as programs used for connecting the PS3 controller to PC are not verified by any vendor, therefore some antiviruses might recognize them as security threats.
If that’s the case, just disable your antivirus program while using the PS3 controller, and you should be good. But think about security first.
To make sure none of the programs you’re using are actually malicious, install Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. It’s never safe to surf the Internet with your antivirus protection disabled.
Bitdefender Antivirus PlusHas your PS3 controller stopped working on PC? Replace your antivirus with Bitdefender right away!
2. Update your drivers
As you probably know, you need proper drivers in order to use the PS3 controller on PC. And in order for everything to work as intended, you need those drivers to be up to date.
Most of the time, you’re going to use Xbox 360 controller drivers, so make sure these are updated. In that regard, we can only recommend using the DriverFix tool.
All you need to do is to install it and it will scan your computer for out-of-date device drivers. With the newest device drivers constantly added to their database, you can’t go wrong with DriverFix.
DriverFixAll it takes is a quick push of a button for Driverfix to update Xbox 360 controller drivers. Ready to try it out?
3. Reset your controller
In some cases, the best solution is to just reset your PlayStation 3 controller. In fact, a few users confirmed this helped them overcome various PS3 controller issues.
If you’re not sure how to reset your controller, just look for the small button at the back of your controller. Press that button, and your controller will be reset.
4. Disable driver enforcement
- Go to Start Menu and open Settings.
- Go to Update and Recovery.
- Choose Recovery from the left pane.
- Under the Recovery section, choose Advanced Startup.
- Your computer will restart and you’ll get advanced startup options on the next boot.
- In these options, chooseTroubleshoot.
- Now head to Advanced options.
- Then, go to Startup Settings.
- The computer will restart again and it will give you the list of startup settings you can change.
- You should look for Disable driver signature enforcement, to turn off this option, press F7.
- Restart your computer and boot normally.
Speaking of drivers, some PlayStation 3 controller drivers or programs might not work properly in Windows, simply because they’re not digitally signed by Microsoft.
To prevent this, you’ll need to disable digital driver enforcement. Feel free to apply the above steps in that regard.
5. Make sure all redistributables are installed
Just like that’s the case with proper drivers, the PS3 controller also needs redistributables in order to function properly.
The most important ones are Visual C++ redistributables and the latest version of .NET Framework. So, make sure you have these installed on your computer.
6. Use another connection method
And finally, since there are more ways to connect your PS3 controller to your PC, maybe using a different method will solve the problem. The most common methods are via Motioninjoy and Bluetooth.
We explained how to use both methods in our detailed guide, so make sure to check it out.
That’s about it. We certainly hope at least one of these solutions helped you overcome problems with the PS3 controller.
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, make sure to let us know in the comments area below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in September 2017 and was revamped and updated in December 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.