How to fix PlayStation 3 Controller problems on PC
Windows 10‘s beautiful versatility allows us to use hardware that’s not originally designed for PC on our computers. One of the most popular ‘third-party’ devices that Windows users love to use is the PlayStation 3 controller. But since the process of connecting the PS3 controller to PC is not officially approved, there might be some issues on the way.
So, if you’ve encountered any issues upon connecting your PlayStation 3 controller to your PC, keep reading this article, and maybe you’ll find a solution.
What to do if PS3 controller stops working on PC
We’re going to present you a set of universal solutions, that can be applied to various problems related to connecting the PS3 controller to PC, including:
- PS3 controller not working on PC
- PS3 controller fails to install drivers
- PS3 controller disconnects from PC
- PS3 controller not charging
- PS3 controller connecting
- Problems with PS3 controller button pressing
- PS3 controller not turning on
Solution 1 – Reset your controller
In some cases, the best solution is to just reset your PlayStation 3 controller. In fact, a few users confirmed this helped them overcome various PS3 controller issues.
If you’re not sure how to reset your controller, just look for the small button at the back of your controller. Press that button, and your controller will be reset.
Solution 2 – Disable antivirus
Some people also said that their antivirus program interferes with the program they’re using for connecting the PS3controller with PC. And that might be the case with you, as well. This is perfectly understandable, as programs used for connecting the PS3 controller to PC are not verified by any vendor, therefore some antiviruses might recognize them as security threats.
If that’s the case, just disable your antivirus program while using the PS3 controller, and you should be good. But think about security first. Make sure none of the programs you’re using are actually malicious and be very careful while surfing the internet with your antivirus protection disabled.
Solution 3 – Update your drivers
As you probably know, you need proper drivers in order to use the PS3 controller on PC. And in order for everything to work as intended, you need those drivers to be up to date. Most of the time, you’re going to use Xbox 360 controller drivers, so make sure these are updated.
Solution 4 – Disable driver enforcement
Speaking of drivers, some PlayStation 3 controller drivers or programs might not work properly in Windows, simply because they’re not digitally signed by Microsoft. To prevent this, you’ll need to disable digital driver enforcement. And here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Go to Start Menu and open Settings
- Go to Update and Recovery
- Choose Recovery from the left pane
- Under Recovery section, choose Advanced Startup
- Your computer will restart and you’ll get advanced startup options on the next boot
- In these options, choose Troubleshoot
- Now head to Advanced options
- And then Startup settings
- The computer will restart again and it will give you the list of startup settings you can change
- You should look for Disable driver signature enforcement, to turn off this option, press F7
- Restart your computer and boot normally
Solution 5 – Make sure all redistributables are installed
Just like that’s the case with proper drivers, the PS3 controller also needs redistributables in order to function properly. The most important ones are Visual C++ redistributables and the latest version of .NET Framework. So, make sure you have these installed on your computer.
Solution 6 – Use another connection method
And finally, since there are more ways to connect your PS3 controller to your PC, maybe using a different method will solve the problem. The most common methods are via Motioninjoy and Bluetooth. We explained how to use both methods in our guide, so make sure to check it out.
That’s about it. We certainly hope at least one of these solutions helped you overcome problems with the PS3 controller. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, make sure to let us know in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Camera App Not Working in Windows 10
- Xbox One S Controller won’t connect to Android [FIX]
- How to use the Xbox One controller on Windows 10
- 10 best Windows 10 gaming controllers for a perfect play
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]