How to use a PlayStation 3 controller with Windows 10
Windows 10 is closely connected with Microsoft’s own Xbox One console, but there are some exceptions that could be made. For example, you can use Xbox‘s bitterest rival’s joystick as your regular computer joystick, with the little trick I’m going to show you in this article.
I know Microsoft will probably dislike this. So, if anyone from Microsoft reads this post, I’m sorry guys, but there are simply people who own PlayStation consoles (but still use your operating system on their computers, though), and they don’t want to spend money on expensive gamepads for their computers, when they can use the joystick they already have.
How to use PlayStation 3 controller on Windows PC
Use PlayStation 3 gamepad on PC with Motioninjoy
So, to be able to get your PS3 gamepad working on Windows 10, you have to do a couple of things first. The very first thing you need to do is to download the proper driver for your PlayStation 3 joystick. There are a lot of drivers of this kind, but I recommend Motioninjoy. You can download it for free from this link.
Okay, so you downloaded and installed the driver, but your PS3 joystick still doesn’t work on your Windows 10 machine? Well, that’s normal, because as I said, Microsoft won’t let you use PS3 hardware by default. So you have to do a little trick, called “disabling driver signature enforcement,” in order to be able to the PlayStation 3 gamepad on Windows 10 computer.
To disable driver signature enforcement, follow these steps:
- Go to Start Menu and open Settings
- Go to Update and Recovery
- Choose Recovery from the left pane
- Under Recovery section, choose Advanced Startup
- Your computer will restart and you’ll get advanced startup options on the next boot
- In these options, choose Troubleshoot
- Now head to Advanced options
- And then Startup settings
- The computer will restart again and it will give you the list of startup settings you can change
- You should look for Disable driver signature enforcement, to turn off this option, press F7
- Restart your computer and boot normally
After disabling driver signature enforcement, your Motionjoy drivers should work just fine. After you set up your drivers, follow the instructions from Motionjoy, and you’ll be able to use PlayStation 3 controller on your Windows 10 computer.
Use PlayStation 3 controller on PC without Motioninjoy (with Bluetooth dongle)
Using Motionjoy is probably the most popular method of connecting your PS3 controller with your Windows PC. However, there are some people who don’t like Motionjoy, but prefer another method instead. We’re not going to ask for your reasons, but if you want another method, here’s one for you.
- Make sure you have latest Xbox 360 drivers installed on your computer. If you don’t have these installed, you can manually download them from here.
- Now, plug in your PS3 controller with your USB. You can also plug a Bluetooth dongle if you want to use that, as well. Make sure you have drivers for your Bluetooth dongle installed.
- Now, download the XInput Wrapper drivers from here.
- Unpack the file using WinRAR(or any other compression software) and run the ScpDriver.exe file from the ScpServerbin folder
- Finish the installation process
- Restart your computer
That’s it, after performing this, you should be able to use your PS3 controller with official Xbox 360 drivers.
I know it’s probably against Microsoft’s rules, but if you already have a PS3 controller, why throw money on some expensive PC gamepads, when you can play with what you got.
- Hottest deals on PS3 controllers from BestBuy
- Get a PlayStation 4 if you’re looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Camera App Not Working in Windows 10
- Xbox One S Controller won’t connect to Android [FIX]
- How to use the Xbox One controller on Windows 10
- 10 best Windows 10 gaming controllers for a perfect play
There’s a lot of good things going for Microsoft Solitaire Collection. The recently-revamped game set of various games was mostly welcomed by avid solitaire players […]
A formal announcement made by Microsoft suggests that Windows Update will no longer have the Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) option also referred to as SAC-T option starting […]
Chrome announced a brand new exciting feature that will let users create a link to a word on the existing webpage and share it with others. The Scroll to Text feature […]