“Please wait while Windows configures…” stuck dialog box for Microsoft Office
When you open software, a configuration window might occasionally open. However, some MS Office users get stuck with a configuration dialog box that opens every time they launch one of the suite’s applications. The configuration window states, “Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office.”
The software still opens, but the configuration window keeps on popping up whenever some Microsoft Office users launch the applications. Consequently, the applications don’t launch especially quickly. This configuration dialog box error pertains to various Office versions. This is how you can get rid of that configuration window if it keeps on opening when you launch MS Office software.
Windows stuck while configuring Office
- Repair Microsoft Office via the Control Panel
- Open the Microsoft Easy Fix 50780 Tool
- Select the Windows Search Option
- Enter Registry Keys in Run
- Switch Off MS Office Add-ins
1. Repair Microsoft Office via the Control Panel
- Repairing corrupted MS Office installations might get rid of the configuration dialog box. To repair MS Office, open Programs and Features by pressing the Win key + R keyboard shortcuts.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run and click OK to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the listed MS Office suite.
- Press the Change button, and then click Yes to confirm.
- Select the Repair option and click Continue.
- For MS Office 2016, select the more thorough Online Repair option; and then click Repair.
2. Open the Microsoft Easy Fix 50780 Tool
There’s a Microsoft Easy Fix 50780 tool specifically for fixing configuration windows that keep on opening for MS Office 2010 applications. This tool probably won’t be much good for the latest Office versions, but it might get rid of the configuration window for Office 2010 applications. Click the Download button on this page to save the tool to Windows. Then you can open that tool’s easy fix wizard to fix the configuration window.
3. Select the Windows Search Option
It might the case that you’re running a 32-bit version of MS Office on a 64-bit platform. If so, a Microsoft Office 64-bits Components window will pop up when you launch the applications. If that’s the configuration dialog box which is opening, activate Windows Search in Windows 7 and 8 as follows.
- Open the Run accessory in Windows.
- Input ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run’s text box, and click the OK button.
- Click Turn Windows features on or off to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Then select the Windows Search option if it’s not currently checked, and press the OK button. Note that Windows 10’s Windows Features window doesn’t include that setting.
4. Enter Registry Keys in Run
Some Microsoft Office users have resolved the Windows configuration dialog box error by adding new keys to the registry. You can do that with Run instead of the Registry Editor. So open Run with the Windows key + R hotkey, and separately enter the following registry keys in Run’s text box:
- reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1
- reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1
- reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1
- reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Powerpoint\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1
- reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Access\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1
Each registry key is for one of five Office suites. Note that the MS Office version number in the registry keys above (15.0) is for MS Office 2013. You will need to modify that number for alternative versions of the Office suite. For example, the version number for MS Office 2010 is 14.0; so you would enter the following key for Word 2010: reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1. MS Office 2016 users will need to change the version number to 16.0.
5. Switch Off MS Office Add-ins
The Windows configuration dialog box might keep on opening because of third-party Office add-ins. To see if that’s the case, disable all your MS Office add-ins. You can switch Office 2016’s add-ins off as follows.
- Open an MS Office application.
- Click File and select Options to open a settings window.
- Select the Add-ins tab to open a list of add-ins.
- Select COM Add-ins from the drop-down menu.
- Press the Go button to open the COM Add-ins window.
- Now deselect all the selected add-ins listed there.
- Press the OK button on the COM Add-ins window.
- Close and reopen Microsoft Office.
Those are a few resolutions that might obliterate a stuck Windows configuration dialog box for MS Office. Then the Office software will launch a whole lot quicker.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to Fix Office 2016 Issues in Windows 10
- Office 2016 won’t print [FIX]
- Fix: Another installation is in progress Office 365
- We’re sorry, sign-in isn’t working right now [Fix SharePoint error]
One of the biggest expectations out of our PCs, even if a tad unrealistic, is to see them perform at peak levels even after years […]
Although Windows Media Player is becoming increasingly outdated, quite a few users still utilize it for playing videos and audio. However, the reality struck when […]