Glyph Blackbox Plus
The Glyph Blackbox Plus has a great deal to offer. Compared to the G-tech G-Drive Mobile USB-C, the Blackbox is better is almost every aspect. Both drives support USB-C, and this allows them to work with existing and future computers as well. They will also work with Thunderbolt 3 ports.
The Glyph Blackbox Plus supports USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps).
Apart from the rugged aluminum casing, the Blackbox Plus features a removable protective rubber case to save it from accidental drops.
The Blackbox Plus includes an interesting 3-2-1 warranty policy. You will get three years of regular warranty against hardware failure, two years of free level-1 data recovery (this means that no advanced recovery method is required) and one year of advance replacement where if the drive is not working properly, Glyph will send a replacement on the spot.
In case you are looking for a fast, compact, and rugged drive that will also work with future PCs this is the ideal choice for you.
CalDigit Tuff (2TB)
The device’s body looks like a block of silver-colored aluminum with parallel sets of raised cooling fins on the top and bottom. It will easily fit into your pocket or your commute bag. The outer edges of this drive feature a replaceable rubber jacket that comes in five colors including black, gray, blue, orange and green. This will help the drive survive drops up to 4 feet.
Let’s take a look at its essential features:
- The Tuff is MIL-STD-810G tested and rated IP57, and this means that it will survive being dropped in a dusty and rough environment.
- The drive body is rated for water immersion of 9.8 feet (3 meters) for half an hour.
- The drive is perfect if you want to access your data outdoors.
- It sports a single USB type C port that is located under the flap on the jacket.
- It comes with two cables: one is for connecting to another USB-C port and another for connecting to a type-A USB port.
- The Tuff also includes a translucent storage box for the drive and both cables.
- The drive is now available in one capacity 2TB.
It will copy a 1.2GB test folder, for instance, in 12 seconds and this is average for hard drives.
LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive (2TB)
This drive comes with a slim, all-aluminum body and it’s quite an attractive device, but it is also capable of super-fast transfer speeds.
Check out its most appealing features:
- The right side of the drive houses a pinprick-size disk activity light and the USB-C port.
- The drive feels quite smooth and pleasant to the touch, even if its edges are a bit sharp.
- The 2TB Mobile Drive comes in gold or silver.
- This mobile drive is quite slim and lightweight; therefore you can throw this into your pocket.
- It comes formatted for NTFS and is compatible with PCs running Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.
- It comes with a USB-C cable, as well as a USB-C–to–USB-3.0 cable; so you don’t have to worry if you don’t have a USB-C port on your computer.
- Regarding the warranty, it is covered for two years.
The external drive is super slim, and it can also transfer files extremely quickly.
Seagate Innov8 (8TB)
The 8TB of capacity featured by Seagate Innov8 is quite enough to keep thousands of hours of video and millions of pics and MP3s, so it will probably become your best friend if you decide to get it. Take a look at more interesting features sported by the drive:
- Its body is metal and it has a set of silver-colored horizontal rib-like stripes around the exterior.
- Its top and bottom plates are textured in charcoal gray, and it has a raised disk molded into both surfaces.
- The drive is not quite pocket size, but it doesn’t need an external power adapter.
The drive is a bit expensive, but you should also consider the fact that there are just a few external drives with such huge capacity on the market right now.
In case you want a ton of storage with a large value in a fast drive, this will definitely be worth considering.
READ ALSO: How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a SSD
Oyen Digital MiniPro SSD (512GB – 2TB)
This solid state drive features synchronous NAND flash. Therefore, it will provide maximum performance. Check out its most notable features:
- The SSD doesn’t feature any moving parts, so it will turn out to be remarkably silent.
- The drive sports a compact aluminum body that will provide high protection, but it will also cool your device.
- The external drive is compatible with USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3, and it offers 450MB/s speeds.
- It is powered via a USB type C port, and you can also use an external adapter (this one will not be included in the box when you but the SSD).
- As the drive comes with USB C-C cable, you will be able to connect it to any device that is compatible.
- The external drive provides solid performance.
- It comes in silver and black.
Plextor EX1 SSD
The external drive comes with a sleek and lightweight design, and it is quiet and shock resistant. Take a look at more of its features below:
- It is compatible with USB 3.1 Gen 2 standards, and it will provide up to 500MB read and write speeds.
- It has MTBF (mean time between failures) of 1.5 million hours, and this is quite amazing.
- The drive uses LDPC technology, and this will guarantee the accuracy and readability of your files.
- This drive is heat-resistant and with its ultra-compact design and 7mm thickness you can easily carry it with you at all times.
- It provides decent durability, and it also supports hardware based 256-bit AES full-drive encryption that will protect your files from unauthorized access.
There are both 256GB and 512GB models available, and you can get the model from GoPlextor.
This is where we end our list, and we guarantee that if you’re looking for an external SSD featuring a USB type C port, all the SSDs presented above will turn out to be perfect for you.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- The best USB Type-C SSD drives to buy
- How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a SSD
- How to install/ migrate Steam games on SSD
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.