An annoying issue prevents printers from printing files on the Windows 10 operating system. When attempting to initiate the printing process, the error message Another computer is using the printer pops-up, leaving the file pending forever. This specific issue is usually related to outdated drivers, system conflicts or incorrect system settings.
If you’ve encountered this issue and looking for a way to avoid it, consider checking our tested solutions.
How to fix the Another computer is using the printer error
1. Reset the Print Spooler service
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard > type services.msc in the Run box and press Enter.
- Search for the Print Spooler service in the right pane, right-click on it and select Stop > right-click on it again and select Start.
- Close the Services window and restart your computer to see if this fixed the issue.
2. Perform a printer power cycle
- Turn off your computer and your printer.
- Unplug your computer and printer from the power socket.
- Let it rest for a minimum of 2 minutes.
- Plug them back in and turn them on.
3. Update or reinstall the printer driver
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard > type devmgmt.msc in the Run box and hit Enter to open the Device Manager.
- In the top menu, click View > select Show hidden devices.
- Expand the Printers menu > Right-click on the available device > select Update driver.
- Alternatively, you can select to Uninstall driver, restart the computer and it will automatically reinstall the printer‘s driver.
4. Update Windows
- Press the Start button > open Settings.
- Click Update & Security.
- Select Windows Update.
- Click Check for updates.
- If it finds any updates, let it complete the process and restart your computer.
- After rebooting your PC, check if updating Windows fixed the issue
We hope that you could fix your issue by following our guide. If you found this article helpful, leave a comment in the comment section below.