Project Scorpio full specs: Here’s what this monster packs under the hood
Project Scorpio might be Microsoft’s most powerful console ever after Digital Foundry’s reveal of the console’s complete hardware details. Check them out below!
Project Scorpio hard specs
- 8 custom CPU cores clocked at 2.3GHz
- 12GB GDDR5 memory
- 326GB/s of bandwith
- 1172MHz GPU with 40 customized compute units
- 1TB HDD
- 4K UHD Blu-Ray disc player
- VR support
- 4K gaming support
Project Scorpio will offer a considerable leap over both the PS4 and the PS4 Pro, as it’s going to sport better graphical and memory capabilities and support for native 4K gaming.
AMD FreeSync and HDMI 2.1 for smoother visuals
The latest news show that the console will feature AMD’s FreeSync technology and the future refresh rate support found into the next-gen HDMI 2.1 specification.
AMD FreeSync offers great improvements to frame rate and visuals:
- The transition between refresh rate will be undetectable.
- The implementation complexity of the Timing Controller and panel will be reduced as the GPU’s pixel clock rate will be kept constant.
- The display refresh rate will adapt dynamically to fixed video content frame rate.
- The display refresh rate will adapt dynamically to variable gaming content render.
All of this means power efficient, stutter-free video playback and a smooth, virtually stutter-free gaming experience. HDMI 2.1 is going to be the most exciting feature as it supports Dynamic HDR allowing changes on a scene-to-scene or frame-to-frame basis.
Release date and pricing
During E3 2016, Microsoft confirmed a holiday 2017 release date for Project Scorpio and the console’s launch was placed one year after the November 2016 release of Sony’s PS4 Pro.
Digital Foundry predicts that the Project Scorpio will cost around $500 based on the specification analysis of the system. Xbox One gamers are living in an exciting time because the upcoming Project Scorpio is the console everyone’s been waiting for. We’re hoping to hear more from Microsoft at E3 2017.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Project Scorpio debuts new design language for Xbox
- Microsoft launching Project Scorpio with many one player games optimized for the console
- Project Scorpio 4K games: Forza 7, Battlefront 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2 already confirmed
Anyone who knows a thing or two about PC gaming most likely knows what Steam is. This video game digital distribution platform is probably the […]