- Chromatic aberrations are a common issue in photography that is caused by improper lens positioning.
- However, there are plenty of software tools out there that are perfectly capable of handling chromatic aberrations.
- One great example of such a tool is Adobe Photoshop, as well as many other entries which we will be covering below.
- For more similar guides, check out our dedicated Graphic and Design page.
Chromatic aberrations are a common phenomenon in photography and video recordings. Fortunately enough, there are plenty of software tools that can handle imagery that has this issue, without having to repair or buy new camera lenses.
That being said, we have compiled a list of the best software tools that can handle this problem, and we will be ranking them based don multiple criteria.
These include the software’s availability, how easy it is to use, how efficient the end-results are, and more.
What are the best software to remove chromatic aberrations?
This professional raster-based image editor has all the tools you may ever need to manipulate, enhance, or fix digital photos.
That being said a common lighting issue such as chromatic aberrations are easy to handle, especially since the program has a dedicated menu for it.
As you tweak your photos, you can preview in real-time what the photo will look like post-editing, so that you always know you will be getting the best result.
More so, you can try out this professional tool before you buy it by getting a free 7-day Trial to ALL Adobe products.
Here are some of Adobe Photoshop’s main features:
- Professional raster-based image editor
- Adobe users will get used to the UI fast
- Has a dedicated section for removing chromatic aberrations
- Can be tested during a 7-day trial
- Compatible with most other image editors
That being said, Lightroom’s UI is a bit more simplistic, but its use is also greatly reduced compared to Photoshop.
However, the entry made it on our list primarily because it can handle chromatic aberrations quite easily, especially if you know how to fix them using Photoshop.
All in all, the program is quite good for this particular task, and you can also try it out during the 7-day trial mentioned earlier.
Here are some of Adobe Lightroom’s main features:
- Works well with Adobe Photoshop
- The UI is easy to handle
- The program is great for professionals
- Easily takes care of photo issues such as chromatic aberrations
- Can be tested out for 7 days before you buy it
Aurora is the first on our list to not be part of the Adobe family, and among all entries, it is alose probably the newest. However, this tool has proven itself that you don’t need to be a bulky program in order to get the job done.
It does this by being extremely lightweight in both looks and feel while being perfectly capable of producing fantastic digital results.
In fact, Aurora HDR is so good at removing chromatic aberrations, that it can do it on HDR photos where even the slightest color variations are noticeable.
Here are some of Aurora HDR’s main features:
- An entry-level image editor
- Works well with complex HDR images
- Removes chromatic aberrations without an issue
- Has both layer and mask support
Luminance HDR’s main highlight of this tool is that it is extremely easy-to-use and that it is also free-of-charge.
Of course, this doesn’t mean that the program’s capabilities are lacking, just that the number of features that it brings considering that it is free is amazing.
While processing the images is a bot slower compared to the other entries, the pros more than outweigh the cons.
Here are some of Luminance HDR’s main features:
- Completely free
- Easy image manipulation
- Intuitive controls
- Great results for a free program
- Can handle chromatic aberrations if handled properly
The program earned its position thanks to the long history that it has in which it never failed to deliver great results. The UI is extremely well arranged and intuitive, and you never feel like anything is too cluttered.
More so, there is nothing bad that we can say about the program as far as sheer results are concerned, as it can remove chromatic aberrations as if they were never there.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chromatic aberration is a common optical problem that appears when a lens is either unable to focus all wavelengths of color to the same plan, and/or when wavelengths of color are concentrated at different positions in the focal plane.
One way to correct chromatic aberrations is to simply adjust the distance and geometry of the camera lenses before actually taking the photo. Another way is by using specialized photography software.
Since lenses work by focusing and dispersing light in predetermined manners, any issue with this phenomenon will result in chromatic aberrations. If these persist, consider getting a new camera, like the bundles included in this list.