Virtual drives are virtualized hard drives that operate much the same as additional external hard disk drives with their own partitions. Although they can come in handy for virtual machines, some users might prefer to remove virtual drives when they’re no longer needed. This is how users can remove virtual drives in Windows 10.
Two Ways to Remove Virtual Drives
1. Delete Virtual Drives With Disk Management Console
- To delete virtual drives with the Disk Management Console, press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut for Run.
- Input ‘diskmgmt.msc’ in Run and click OK to open Disk Management.
- Right-click the virtual disk listed in the Volume column and select Delete Volume.
- A dialog box will open suggesting that users back up data before deleting the volume. If you’re sure you don’t need anything on the virtual drive, click the Yes option.
- That will leave users with unallocated virtual drive space. To delete the virtual hard disk file, right-click the disk number with the unallocated space and select the Detach VHD option.
- Select the Delete the virtual hard disk file after removing disk option on the window that opens.
- Click the OK button.
- Some users might still see their virtual drives in File Explorer. Right-click the virtual drive in File Explorer and click Delete to erase it.
2. Delete Virtual Drives With Diskpart
- To delete virtual drives with Diskpart command-line utility, open the Win + X menu with its Windows key + X hotkey.
- Click Command Prompt (Admin) to open an elevated CP window.
- Enter ‘diskpart’ in the Command Prompt, and press the Return key.
- Then select the virtual drive with this command: select vdisk file=<VHD file>. Users need to replace <VHD file> with the actual VHD file title and the drive it’s stored on as in the snapshot directly below.
- Input ‘detach vdisk’ in the Command Prompt and press Enter, which will detach the virtual drive.
- Then close the Command Prompt.
So, users can delete their virtual drives with the Disk Management Console or Diskpart utilities. With virtual drives deleted, users will have regained some hard drive space for more essential things.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT: