How to remove words from Microsoft’s Spell Check’s Dictionary
When using Windows, you’ll see an option that called Add to dictionary in various programs including Microsoft Word, some Note taking applications, web browsers and more.
Every time you add a word to the spell checking dictionary, it is saved automatically. Once it is, you’ll be able to ignore it every time the program checks for spelling mistakes.
Add to Dictionary or Ignore
When we write a certain word multiple times and Windows doesn’t recognize it, it will point out that specific word as an error. But if you’re sure the spelling of that word is a correct, you can avoid Window’s error prompts and skip its irritating red underline by choosing between Add to dictionary or Ignore.
If you choose Ignore, this will happen only once. If you’re sure you’ll use that specific word frequently, it’s better to choose Add to Dictionary.
In the future, you might also want to remove that word. We’re going to show you the different ways in which you can add, edit or remove words from the default dictionary of Microsoft Office on Windows 10/8/7.
Adding and removing words from the Spell Checking Dictionary
When you use Add to dictionary, the word you used this option on is saved in a file automatically. In case you didn’t know, you can edit that file manually in order to add or remove words from the spell checking dictionary.
Follow these steps n order to reach that file:
- Open File Explorer > File > Change folder and search options > View tab
- Select Show hidden files, folder, and drives > click Apply.
- Use the following path: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling
- In this Spelling folder, you’ll find one or more folders. In case you used more than one language on your system, you’re going to find more than one folder.
- Choose a folder based on the language that you’ve used. In each folder, you’ll see 3 files: default.acl, default.dic and default.exc.
- Double-click on default.dic and it will open in Notepad.
Here you’ll be able to see all the words that you’ve added to the dictionary. You can now edit the file. Save and exit after you’re done, and you’re all set!
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- The best crossword software for Windows 10
- 6 of the best blogging software for Windows users
- You can now remove a word from the user dictionary in Windows 10 Mobile
A serial port can be useful, but some users reported Unable to open serial port message on their PC. This can be a big problem, […]
Most of us print documents frequently, but sometimes Operation on the printer is required message can appear and prevent you from printing. This can be […]
The GeForce Experience client by Nvidia is all-in-one suite covering everything from the in-game screenshots, live streams, and graphics optimization. Quite a valuable asset for […]