Quickly rename multiple files in Windows 10 using the Tab key
Everyone knows that renaming a file in Windows is as easy as right-clicking that file and selecting the “Rename” option. But, not many know it’s possible to rename a file in Windows by tapping the F2 key and entering the new name of the file. The F2 key is very useful especially if you want to rename multiple files at once. To do this, you will first have to select all the files you want to rename and, after that, press the F2 key. Then, you will have to enter a name for the selected files and press Enter key.
If you do this, Windows will automatically add numbers to the end of the file names you’ve selected. For example, if you rename 10 files with the name “test”, numbers will be added to all the files that were renamed.
Here are the steps you can take to use this yourself:
- Open the folder containing all files you want to rename.
- Select the first file from the list and press the F2 key.
- After entering the new name for the file, press the TAB key. By doing this, you will save the new file name that you’ve just written but also automatically select the next file to rename it
- If you want skip a file, you can always press the TAB key twice.
You can also use keyboard shortcuts to perform specific commands. For example, if you want to create a new folder, you can always use the CTRL+SHIFT+N keys in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 8.1 KB3185331 Monthly Update Rollup improves system security
- Microsoft releases update KB3192440 for Windows 10 version 1507
- Microsoft IME causes high CPU usage on Windows 10 [Fix]
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]
No matter if you run a business or not, if you want store data, QNAP (Quality Network Appliance Provider) Systems is probably the answer you […]
We have all sorts of applications on our PC, but sometimes certain apps can become grayed out and unable to remove. This can be a […]