- Many users reported that Resident Evil 5 Steam version is not launching for them. This issue is often caused by missing files.
- Make sure that you have the latest drivers installed since outdated drivers can be a common cause of this problem too.
- Do not hesitate to make sure that the game directory has the necessary DLL files.
- If Resident Evil 5 crashes on startup, install the latest version of Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace to fix it.
Resident Evil 5 is a great game that many horror fans love, but it seems that Resident Evil 5 is not launching for Steam users.
This issue in most cases occurs due to missing files or due to a component called Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace.
Users reported that they aren’t able to play the game at all, therefore in this guide we’re going to show you the best methods you can use to fix this problem.
What to do if Resident Evil 5 Steam version isn’t launching?
1. Run the game in Compatibility Mode
- Go to the Resident Evil 5 installation directory. By default, it should be:
C:Program FilesSteam steamappscommonResident Evil 5
- Locate the re5dx9.exe file, right-click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab. Check Run the program in compatibility mode for and select Windows 7 from the list.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
After doing that, the game will start in Compatibility mode and the problem should be resolved.
2. Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date
If the Resident Evil 5 Steam version is not launching on your PC, your graphics card drivers may be outdated. If that’s the case, be sure to update them with the right software.
Big-time gaming can be done without crashes, lags or freezes by keeping all drivers up to date and error-free. Manual checks are hard to perform, that’s why we recommend using an automate assistant that will scan for fresh driver versions daily. Here is how to use it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the newly installed app to detect all your PC’s faulty drivers.
- You will be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you can choose the ones that you want to fix.
- Wait for the driver download and fixing process to complete.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Do not let a bad driver interfere with your games and installed software. Use DriverFix today and run them without a single issue.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Copy the xlive.dll to the game directory
- Get xlive.dll file from another PC or any other credible source.
- Go to the Resident Evil 5 Steam directory. We gave you a full path to it in Solution 1.
- Now paste the xlive.dll to the Resident Evil 5 directory.
Once the file is pasted, try running the game again and check if the problem is resolved. Several users reported that they fixed the problem by copying the wmvcore.dll file, so feel free to try that as well.
After moving that file to the game directory, the issue was completely resolved.
4. Install the latest version of Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace
- Open the Settings app. You can do that quickly with Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Navigate to the Apps section.
- Select Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
- Download Microsoft Games for Windows.
- Install the software.
Once the software is installed, check if the problem with Resident Evil 5 not launching on Steam is gone.
If Resident Evil 5 for Steam is not launching on your PC, the most common cause are the missing DLL files and Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace.
The latest version of the game usually doesn’t suffer from these issues, so be sure to keep it up to date in order to avoid this and many other problems.
Even though Steam is a beloved PC gaming platform, such issues do show up from time to time. Don’t hesitate to check out our guide that shows you what to do if your Steam game is not launching.
Did you manage to fix this issue on your own? Feel free to share your solution with us in the comments section below.