Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service
Windows 10 is one of the most stable, secure and smooth operating systems developed and released by Microsoft. However, since we are discussing about a huge platform which is always under development stage, improvements are always welcomed. But, sometimes these improvements are not rolled out as fast as we want. For this reason, many users decide to take matter into their own hands.
So, we try to tweak built-in settings and features by using third party apps or by downloading and flashing processes which are not released by Microsoft. Either way, we can end up in messing things up – we can damage internal files, the apps that we use can corrupt default registry or who knows, something essential might be just erased. Thus, problems occur and we have to find the perfect way to fix them.
Understanding why errors occur
Usually, the first troubleshooting process that we apply is the System File Checker or sfc.exe. This is a service featured by default within the Windows core center, located in C:WindowsSystem32 folder. What this utility does is a scan process that looks for corrupt Windows system files. SFC (System File Checker) will also repair corruptions or system related errors and can restore a Windows Restore Protection (WRP) package, through which your Windows 10 device can’t run properly anymore.
Good, so everything should be crystal clear for now. But, what should you do when the SFC scan isn’t working? In most situations, if Windows Modules Installer isn’t enabled, the SFC utility will not complete the system scan, so you cannot fix the implied malfunctions. Windows Modules Installer is a dedicated service also pre-loaded on the Windows software; this service must access WRP files and registry entries when the SFC scan is initiated. Well, as obvious, if the service is disabled you will get a warning message or an error stating that ‘Windows resource protection could not start the repair service’.
You should now understand how the SFC scan is working and why you receive the ‘Windows resource protection could not start the repair service’ Windows 10 error. And based on the explanation from above, the issues can be easily fixed by enabling Windows Modules Installer. Here is how you can achieve this fix.
How to fix: ‘Windows resource protection could not start the repair service’
- Turn on your Windows 10 computer.
- From Desktop press the Win+R keyboard keys in order to bring the Run box.
- There enter: services.msc and click on OK.
- The Services window will be now displayed. From there you must double-click on Windows Modules Installer.
- The general Settings panel will be launched. From there, switch to General tab.
- Startup type must be set to ‘manual’. If different, change the setting accordingly.
- Click on OK and then Apply the settings.
- You can close the Service window now.
- Open an elevated cmd window: launch Task Manager (CTRl+Alt+Del), click on File, pick Run new Task and type ‘cmd’. Hint: make sure ‘create this task with administrative privileges’ is checked and then press OK.
- In the cmd window type sc config trustedinstaller start=demand and press Enter.
- Afterwards type net start trustedinstaller and press Enter.
After applying the steps from above you should be able to initiate the SFC scan. The ‘Windows resource protection could not start the repair service’ error should be fixed so you can resume your troubleshoot initiative.
To start the scan, just launch the elevated command prompt window again and enter sfc /scannow (between sfc and ‘/’ there is a space). Note: depending on the problems or on your own Windows 10 configuration this scan might take a while; just do your work while the process is running.
If you have questions or if you need further information about the process that we just explained, don’t hesitate to contact us by using the comments area from below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- “Network resource unavailable” error on Windows 10 [Fix]
- Fix: Hosted network could not be started on Windows 10
- This file is checked out or locked for editing by another user
There are just a few days left until Christmas. If your best friend, significant other or other family members are avid Xbox fans, then a really […]
Sweaters and jumpers are some of the most common Christmas gifts that people get for their loved ones. If you want to impress your friends […]
We’re a technology-focused website and we know how important it is for geeks to show their love for technology. For this reason, we compiled this […]