What is Scrobj.dll & How to Fix It if It’s Missing
Reinstall the MS Visual C++ Redistributable package or run SFC scan
- The scrobj.dll is a Dynamic link library file associated with Windows Script Component Runtime.
- Windows Script Components (WSC) are reusable software components that can be scripted using languages like VBScript or JScript.
The scrobj.dll file contains essential components and functions for scripting tasks, including file system operations, string manipulation, and other related operations. If scrobj.dll is deleted or corrupted, or there are software conflicts on the computer, it can result in an error indicating that the file is missing.
This guide will help you understand what scrobj.dll is and show you how to fix the problem if it’s missing from your computer.
What is scrobj.dll?
The scrobj.dll file is part of the Windows Script Component Runtime, which provides support for Windows Script Components (WSC) in the Windows operating system.
It provides the necessary infrastructure for creating, executing, and managing Windows Script Components. The DLL file contains the required functions and resources for the runtime to function correctly.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
The scrobj.dll missing DLL error can occur due to a variety of reasons. Here are some of the common causes for this error:
- File Deletion: The file may have been accidentally or intentionally deleted by a user or a program, either manually or during a cleanup process.
- Corruption: The file may have become corrupted due to a hardware or software issue, such as a disk error, improper shutdown, or malware infection.
- Software Conflict: Another program or software installation may have overwritten or modified the scrobj.dll file, leading to its removal or incompatibility.
- System Update: During a Windows update or upgrade, the file may have been replaced or removed if it was considered obsolete or incompatible with the new version.
- Malware or Virus: Malicious software or virus infection on your system could potentially target and delete or modify the scrobj.dll file.
How do I fix the scrobj.dll is missing error?
Before attempting any complicated troubleshooting methods, try these quick workarounds:
- Restart your PC: Start by restarting your computer. In some cases, a simple restart can resolve DLL-related errors.
- Check the Recycle Bin: Sometimes, DLL files can accidentally be deleted. Check your computer’s Recycle Bin to see if the scrobj.dll file is there. If it is, restore it to its original location.
- Run a Virus Scan: Perform a thorough computer scan using reliable antivirus software. Sometimes, malware or viruses can corrupt or remove DLL files.
- Reinstall the Software: If the error occurs with a specific application, uninstall it completely. Then download the latest version from the official website and install it again.
1. Manually download and install the file
- Visit trusted DLL file repositories like DLL-Files.com.
- Download the appropriate DLL file version for your operating system, whether it’s 32-bit or 64-bit.
- After downloading the DLL file, perform a thorough scan using a reliable antivirus or anti-malware program.
- Then extract the downloaded file and copy the scrobj.dll file.
- For the 64-bit DLL file, paste the file into the below folder:
- For a 32-bit DLL file, paste in the following location:
- Reboot your computer.
2. Re-register the DLL file manually
- Press the Windows key, type command prompt, and select Run as administrator.
- Click on Yes to the UAC prompt.
- In the Command Prompt, enter the following command to register the scrobj.dll file and press Enter:
- You should see a message indicating whether the registration was successful or not. If the registration is successful, you can close the Command Prompt.
- Restart your computer.
3. Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
- Visit the official Microsoft website to download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
- Download the appropriate version of the Visual C++ Redistributable Package for your system.
- Once the download is complete, double-click on the file to start the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Restart your computer and then verify if the scrobj.dll error is stopped.
4. Run the System Checker
- Press Windows + R to open the Run command box, type cmd, hold the Ctrl + Shift key, and click OK.
- Click Yes on the User Account Control (UAC) prompt window.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:
- After the scan is complete, restart your computer.
5. Restore your PC
- Click the Start button, type restore, and select Create a restore point.
- In the System Properties window and click the System Restore button.
- Then, select Choose a different restore point, and click Next.
- Select the restore point you want to use, and click Next.
- Then, click Finish.
If you recently made changes to your system or installed/uninstalled software before encountering the error, you can try using the System Restore feature to revert your system to a previous working state. This can potentially restore the missing scrobj.dll file.
For problems with other similar files, there are some sure-shot ways to fix missing DLL files on Windows 11.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to share them in the comment section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.