- You won't be able to play Sims 3 when you see an error message during startup, but this guide should help you.
- This guide contains information about some of the best fixes for this annoying problem.
- Check out The Sims errors section to see more easy-to-follow fixes for other Sims games.
- To explore some more useful fixes and captivating information, check out our extensive Gaming Hub.
Sims 3 is one of the best games in its series. However, some players have posted on EA’s forum about a Sims 3 startup error.
The error message for that issue states, There was an error during startup. Consequently, users can’t launch Sims 3 when the game displays that error message.
How can I fix the error during startup issue on Sims 3?
1. Run the game with administrator privileges
- Right-click the launcher for Sims 3 and select Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab shown directly below.
- Select the Run this program as an administrator checkbox.
- Click the Apply button.
- Select the OK option to exit.
2. Delete cache files for Sims 3
- Clearing the cache for Sims 3 might erase corrupted files there. To do that, press the Windows + E hotkey.
- Select the View tab.
- Select the Hidden items option.
- Then open your user folder in File Explorer.
- Click AppData to open that folder.
- Open the Local folder.
- Open the Sims 3 folder.
- Press Ctrl + A to select everything in the Sims 3 folder.
- Click Delete on the Home tab.
3. Delete game mods
- The Sims 3 startup error might be due to conflicting mods. To delete the game’s mods, open File Explorer.
- Next, open this folder path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages.
- Press the Ctrl + A keyboard shortcut to select all content in the Packages folder.
- Press the Delete button to erase selected folder content.
4. Reinstall Sims 3
- Some users might need to reinstall Sims 3. To do so, open the Origin game client software.
- Next, click Library and select Sims 3.
- Press the Settings button (with the cog icon) for Sims 3.
- Select the Uninstall option.
- Press the Yes button to confirm if a dialog box window opens.
- Restart Windows before reinstalling Sims 3.
- Finally, download Sims 3 from EA’s website again to reinstall it.
5. Delete expansion registry keys
- If reinstalling Sims 3 doesn’t fix the error, you might need to delete some of the registry keys for the game’s expansions. Right-click Windows 10’s Start menu and select Run.
- To open the Registry Editor, type Regedit in Run and click OK.
- Next, open this registry key:
- Delete Sims 3 expansion registry keys you don’t need by right-clicking them and selecting Delete.
Those are some of the confirmed fixes for Sims 3’s error during startup error. So, there’s a pretty good chance the above fixes will resolve the issue for most users.
FAQ: Read more about the Sims 3 error during startup issue
- Is Sims 3 the only game in its series the error during startup issue arises for?
Sims 3 is the only game users have reported the error for on EA’s forum. So, it seems to be exclusively a Sims 3 error.
- What’s the best fix for the error during startup issue?
Running the game as administrator is a probable fix, so in case you can’t use this feature, have a look at our comprehensive guide dealing with problems while setting administrator privileges.
- Will I lose saved games if I try reinstalling Sims 3 as suggested?
Yes, so back up your saved Sims 3 games as outlined within our back up Origin game saves guide.