Skype is without a doubt the most popular messaging service, and although millions of users use Skype every day, some of them aren’t pleased with some of its features. One feature that users are complaining about is the autocorrect and today we’re going to show you how to disable Skype autocorrect in Windows 10 or Windows 7.
How to disable Skype autocorrect in Windows 10?
Autocorrect is a useful feature if you sometimes misspell certain words. With autocorrect turned on, all your words will be automatically corrected if they aren’t properly spelled. This can be useful, but sometimes autocorrect might be wrong and replace the misspelled word with some completely different word thus making you enter the same word again.
This applies to both the standard version of Skype and Skype for Business. So if you are using either of the two, you might have issues with aggressive autocorrect.
If English is not your native language, say using Skype in Spanish or French, autocorrect can sometimes change the words from your native language to English causing even more problems. These are just some minor inconveniences that can occur with autocorrect, so it’s no wonder that many users want to disable this feature in Skype.
Solution 1 – Change Typing settings in the Settings app
According to users, the simplest way to turn off Skype autocorrect is to change the Typing settings in the Settings app. To do that, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button and choose Settings app.
- Go to Devices > Typing.
- Turn off Autocorrect misspelled words and Highlight misspelled words options.
Bear in mind that autocorrect feature is based on your keyboard input language, so keep a close eye on which keyboard input language are you using.
Solution 2 – Uncheck Autocorrect in Skype
According to users, you can easily fix this issue simply by changing a few settings in Skype. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Skype.
- Go to Tools > Options.
- Go to IM & SMS > IM Settings and click Show advanced options.
- Uncheck Auto correct and highlight misspelled words.
- After unchecking this option, click the Save button to save changes.
Solution 3 – Edit the registry
According to users, for some unknown reason the Typing tab in Settings app might not be visible, but you can circumvent this limitation by editing your registry. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Click OK or press Enter.
- When Registry Editor starts, navigate to the following key
- In the right pane, double click EnableAutocorrection DWORD and double click it. Set its Value data to 0. Repeat the same steps for EnableSpellchecking DWORD.
- After you’re done, close Registry Editor and check if the problem is resolved.
Autocorrect is a useful feature but sometimes it can be a hindrance, so you might want to disable it. To disable autocorrect in Skype, be sure to try some of our solutions. If you are still unable to turn off autocorrect in Skype, give us a shout and we’ll help you out.
- Fix: Skype Won’t Close in Windows 10
- Skype Preview for Windows 10 Mobile released with SMS support
- Fix: Skype Error 0x80070497 in Windows 10
- Skype for Web can now call mobile phones and landlines
- Fix: Skype Problem With Playback Device On Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Editor's Note: This article was originally published in August 2016 and was revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.