- When it comes to instant messaging Skype is probably one of the most-known applications.
- Some users reported that their Skype messages are delayed.
- To fix this issue, close Skype on all devices or install the desktop version of Skype.
- If you’re having additional problems with Skype, we suggest that you visit our Skype hub, for more useful articles.
Skype is the pioneer of messaging applications, and it remains the most used and, with its many integrated services, one of the best messaging applications on the market.
In fact, Skype also allows you to make calls to landline and mobile phones around the world, at really advantageous conditions.
From time to time, Skype messages on your computer could be severely delayed.
You could be working online, with functioning Internet, and sometimes (maybe three times a day) a message won’t come through for over an hour. Today, we’ll show you how to fix that.
How can I fix Skype message delay?
1. Close Skype app on all devices
Skype is a multi-platform software, and it’s available on wide range of devices, inducing computers, smartphones and tablets alike.
With Skype running on multiple devices simultaneously, sometimes you may encounter synchronization issues that can lead to Skype message delay. This can be rather inconvenient, but there’s a way to fix this problem.
To fix this issue, you just need to close the Skype app and sign out from Skype on all devices. After doing that, simply log back into Skype on each device and check if the issue reappears.
We know that signing out on each device can be a bit tedious, but several users reported that this solution worked for them, so feel free to try it out.
2. Install the Classic app for Skype
If the previous steps didn’t solve the problem with Skype message delay, try to install the 22.214.171.124 Classic Skype application. Sometimes the older versions work better, and by switching to it, you might be able to solve this problem.
It’s worth mentioning that Classic Skype 126.96.36.199 version is out of date, so you might have some problems finding it.
You can download it from third-party sources, but since this version is out of date, it’s possible that you’ll be forced to update to the latest version as soon as you install it.
As you can see, this isn’t the most reliable solution, but it might work for some users.
3. Reset Skype UWP
- Open the Start menu and click Settings.
- Click Apps.
- Locate and click the Skype from the Application List.
- Click Advanced options.
- Select Reset.
- Then, uninstall and reinstall the Skype application.
There you go, these are some solutions that might help you fix the Skype message delay problem. Let us know if you managed to solve the problem with this guide in the Comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Skype
- How much does Skype SMS cost?
Skype SMS costs around $0.05 per single message. The price might vary depending on your location and recipient’s location.
- Is Skype instant messaging free?
Yes, Skype instant messaging is free. If you want to send SMS via Skype, then you’ll need to purchase Skype Credit or a subscription.
- Where is Skype conversation history stored?
Your Skype conversation is saved in C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming\Skype\<your_skype_ID> directory.
- Can you retrieve old Skype conversations?
Yes, you can retrieve old Skype conversations by going to AppData\Roaming\Skype\ folder on your PC.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.