- Skype is a great instant messaging app, but it has its share of issues.
- Many users reported that they are unable to sign in due to Something went wrong Skype error.
- Fixing this issue is easy, and you just need to check your Internet connection and your Skype login credentials.
- Are you having other problems with Skype? We covered a wide array of Skype issues in our Skype hub, so be sure to check it out.
Did you ever encounter Something went wrong Skype error? If you are encountering like this, then this article will guide you in solving it. This is a long guide, so you would need to carefully read through each step to fix the problem.
How can I fix Something went wrong error on Skype?
- Check if you are connected to the Internet
- Check if Skype is experiencing any service issues
- Reinstall Skype
- Confirm that your username and password are correct
- Diagnose what is stopping the software from working
1. Check if you are connected to the Internet
One of the first things to check when you encounter Something went wrong Skype error is your Internet connection. Check if it is working by opening your browser and try visiting a few websites.
If this works, then jump straight to the next solution.
If the websites are loading very slowly, it means you might not be on a good network. Try shutting down any software or downloads that might be making use of your bandwidth. Then, try to start Skype again.
Furthermore, if the websites are not loading at all, it means that your Internet connection isn’t functioning. So, you need to check your device if it is properly connected to your network. Also, you might want to contact your ISP.
2. Check if Skype is experiencing any service issues
If your Internet connection is working fine and you are still experiencing Something went wrong Skype error, it means that Skype might be having some service issues.
Confirm that Skype services are running smoothly. If the service is okay then move on to the next step.
3. Reinstall Skype
Something went wrong error on Skype might stop you from entering your Skype login details. To fix this, you need to do the following:
- Uninstall Skype from your device
- Restart your device
- Reinstall Skype
In order to completely remove Skype, it’s advised to use uninstaller software such as IOBit Uninstaller. By doing so, all files and registry entries will be removed from Skype completely.
If this does not fix it, then you can make your complaint on the Skype community. This issue can be caused by so many things so it might be difficult trying to it with this guide.
4. Confirm that your username and password are correct
Sometimes your login information might not be correct, and that can cause Something went wrong error on Skype.
To check if your login information is in order, try signing in to your account on Skype‘s website. This can also be a test to confirm if your credentials are valid. Is signing in not possible? Then, reset your password.
Have you reset your password and still can’t sign in to your account on Skype website? If so, try to contact Skype support.
If you have successfully signed into Skype website then move to the next solution.
5. Diagnose what is stopping the software from working
If you’re still getting Something went wrong Skype error, follow these steps:
- Erase the shared.xml file.
- Confirm that the ports needed by Skype are running.
- Confirm if Skype is working in the background.
- Check that Skype can connect to your proxy server.
Have you carried out all these instructions and still find it difficult to sign in to Skype, then report on the Skype community for help.
Something went wrong error on Skype can be problematic, but we hope that you managed to fix it using one of our solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you can’t access your Skype account, go to Skype’s website and choose the option to recover your password. Check the methods in this guide for more details.
To reinstall Skype, you will first have to uninstall it. After this process is completed open the installer and follow the on-screen instructions.
Technically it’s possible for someone to spy on you through Skype, but in order for that to happen, you need to have malicious software installed on your PC.