Sony’s Smart TVs come with a smart remote control that can be used to control your Setup box etc. Sometimes, the remote control may stop working. Several users have reported Sony smart TV remote doesn’t work issue in the tech forums.
Many Sony Smart TV users have reported similar issues in the reddit community forum.
brought a 65 inch xbr 900e over a year ago. remote stopped working and thought that was the issue but voice commands work on it buttons don’t. can see it is working fine with a phone camera. seems like the tv isn’t responding to it, sony is no help with no warranty
Troubleshooting Sony Smart TV remote doesn’t work issue is easier than it may appear. Follow the steps in this article to know how to get your remote working now.
How to fix Sony smart TV remote doesn’t work
1. Reboot and wait
- If only a few buttons of the Sony remote doesn’t work, it is due to the booth process. Sony recommends the users to wait for a few minutes for all the remote control functions to start working.
- Before proceeding with other troubleshooting tips, please check the batteries. Dead batteries are a common cause of partially functioning or dead remote control. Place the batteries according to the polarity and try again.
2. Check TV operations / reset Android TV
- Make sure that your TV is functioning properly using the buttons on the TV. Press any of the buttons and check if you are able to control volume and menu etc.
- If the TV is functioning properly, jump to the third fix.
- If the TV button is not working, make sure the lights on the TV is on.
- Perform a power cycle by pressing the Power button for 5 seconds until a message Power off appears.
- Wait for the TV to restart. That should complete the power cycle. Use your remote again and check for any improvements.
3. Troubleshoot remote control
- If the issue persists, troubleshoot the remote control using these steps.
- Clean the remote control terminal. The remote control battery terminals can accumulate dirt over time. Remove the battery lid and roll the batteries with your thumb.
- Remove external devices connected to the computer. External devices like hard drive, gaming console, and even streaming devices can create issues.
- Remove all the connected devices one by one. Then start connecting them again and check if the remote control starts functioning.
- If the remote control starts working, then you may have an external device to troubleshoot.
4. Verify the remote control IR blaster
- Remote controls uses Infra-Red blaster to transmit signals. You can easily verify if the remote control is sending IR signal.
- Take a smartphone with a camera. Open the camera app.
- Point the end of the remote control with the IR emitter at the camera.
- Press the power on button on the remote control. If you see a light in the phone screen if the remote control is sending IR signals.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE: