5 best speech to text software for increased productivity
People use speech to text software for various reasons. Users may need such tools that come with the feature of transcribing speech to text for writing novels, other users may need them for academic transcription, and there are also users who write business documents such as memos and more.
If you’re looking for the best Windows speech to text software, then you’ve reached the perfect place. We gathered five of the best tools that can help you transform speech into text so make sure that you check out their sets of features and functionalities because each of them is unique.
After analyzing their sets of functionalities, you will be able to make the most informed decision according to your needs.
Dragon Naturally Speaking (recommended)
Dragon Naturally Speaking is one of the best options that are available on the market for speech to text transcription. This is also one of the best-selling and most accurate speech recognition software that you can find, and it’s already being used by millions of people all over the world.
This software allows users to dictate three times faster than typing with up to 99% accuracy. There are more options that you can choose from on the software’s official website.
Take a look at them and their best features:
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home Edition will get your to-dos done with just your voice, and this tool is perfect for students, parents, retirees, speech recognition newbies and busy multi-taskers.
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium Edition is great for higher productivity, and it’s ideal for students, teachers, consultants, self-employed workers, professors, professionals, writers and bloggers and for users who spend tons of time at their computers.
- Dragon Professional Individual Edition is a tool that empowers busy professionals.
- With the help of all these tools, you can create documents much faster than typing, and you will get an accuracy of 99% which is great.
- The words will appear on the screen almost instantly, and all you have to do is speak natural, and the tool will know exactly what you are saying.
- The software also comes with support for Windows 10 touchscreens PCs.
- You will be able to use your voice to search the Internet for videos, information, recipes, directions and more.
- You will also be able to email your family and friends by dictating, editing, and sending messages via Gmail and Hotmail and manage appointments in the calendar with the help of voice commands.
- You can update your social media status and navigate without even having to touch your keyboard.
- This tool allows users to import and export custom word lists and user profiles as well.
We recommend that you head over to Dragon Naturally Speaking’s official website and take a look at the complete list of features and functionalities that are included in this software because there’s much more to see there.
Temi is a speech to text tool that provides transcription in about five minutes. This is a really advanced speech recognition software that will come in handy for users who need such a utility.
All you have to do is upload any audio or video file, review the transcript with timestamps and speakers and eventually save and export the final result in MS Word, PDF, and more available formats.
Take a look at more features that are included in this tool below:
- The transcript quality usually depends on the audio quality so make sure to upload high-quality content for best results.
- If you upload good audio, you will be able to enjoy 90-90% accuracy.
- Temi is built by machine learning and speech recognition experts.
- The editing tool is easy to use, and you will be able to adjust the playback speed and skip around effortlessly.
- Temi known the timing of every word and you will be able to add timestamps.
- Good audio involves little background noise, clear speakers, and minimal accents.
If you head over to the official website of this tool, you will see that you can get a free trial that offers you the possibility to try one transcript of any length, access to all the software’s features and no credit card is required for this.
The transcript will be back in a few minutes, and the shorter files are delivered much faster. This tool is ideal for journalists and reporters, podcasters, bloggers and authors and so on. The transcripts will be delivered in just a few minutes to your email.
Head over to Temi’s official website and try the handy tool for free just to see how it works.
Google Docs Voice Typing
This is not a standalone app, but it’s worth listing because it’s the best way to get started with speech to text. Google Docs Voice Typing requires the Chrome Browser and also a microphone. You will also need a persistent Internet connection. This is probably the easiest way to get started with speech transcription.
You may have been using Google Docs before, but you were not aware of the fact that it includes a Voice Typing feature. It’s best to get a dynamic microphone rather than a condenser because dynamics pick up less background noise and this way, your words will sound clearer, and the voice recognition software will be more accurate.
Check out the best features included in Google Docs Voice Typing:
- You can use this tool for recording notes and thoughts while you are on the go.
- Google Docs Voice Typing is also packed with enough features to allow you to write entire documents.
- With only your voice you can control document navigation, text selection, text editing and formatting, and more.
- You can disable voice typing by simply speaking Stop Listening, and the feature will get turned off.
To begin, you have to visit Google Docs and sign in with your Google Account. As we already said, you also have to make sure that you have the latest version of Chrome installed on your computer.
Windows Speech Recognition
Windows Speech Recognition is also known as Speech Platform Runtime, and it’s a free tool that requires a Windows 7 or later operating system in order to work. This is really worth mentioning in the article due to its excellent features even if it’s a bit different compared to other software that we listed.
You have to make sure that your computer has a built-in microphone and if it doesn’t, you will have to connect an external mic or a headset that comes with a mic. It’s best to use a headset with a microphone because this seems to give the best results. After you connect the mic, you will have to set it up.
Now, you have to open Speech Recognition by following these steps:
- Click Start or open the Start Screen. Type Speech and select Microsoft Speech Recognition.
- You can also open the Control Panel and click on Ease of access and Start Speech Recognition.
- The Windows Speech Recognition can be used to type any text or perform various commands.
- This feature can also be used to control what you would normally do with the help of a mouse.
Try the Windows Speech Recognition and see what more you can do with the help of this great feature.
Braina is another fantastic speech recognition software that you can find on the market. This is a multi-language speech recognition software that has the ability to fill forms on websites as well.
Apart from dictation, it also provides voice command features that allow you to search the Internet, open files, websites, and programs, find all kinds of data, set reminders, take notes and much more.
Here are some of the best features that are included in this software:
- You can use your voice to dictate text to a computer, automate processes and enhance your personal and business productivity as well.
- Using this software, you will be able to interact with your computer running Windows and use various voice commands in English and more languages.
- Braina makes it possible for you to control your computer with your voice in order to make your life much more comfortable.
- This amazing speech recognition software is able to convert your voice into text in any website and software, and it supports more than 100 languages.
- Using this tool, you will be able to become more productive than ever before.
- You can create your own customized voice commands and replies as well, and you also can define hotkeys that will automatically trigger a custom command action.
We recommend that you head over to Braina’s official website to learn more about its features because there are a lot more that are worth checking out.
These are the best five tools for speech to text transcription that you can use these days, and no matter which one you decide to get/use you will definitely be satisfied with the result.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT: