A wide number of users have reported seeing the error message Status bad impersonation level on Windows 10 after installing the latest patches from Microsoft in April of 2019.
This error seems to affect users of Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012 as well. In these cases, the error stops Windows from booting up normally.
It seems that the issue might be caused by a conflict between Windows latest patches and some antivirus software installed on their PC.
For these reasons, in today’s article, we will explore some of the best methods to deal with this issue. Please follow the steps presented here carefully to avoid any further issues.
How can I fix Status bad impersonation level error?
1. Check Windows Update for any new patches
- Click on Start button -> type in Update -> select the Check for updates option.
- If any updates are available, they’ll be downloaded automatically.
- Once the updates are downloaded, restart your PC to install them.
2. Restore your PC back to the version before installing the April patch
- Click on Start button ->type System Restore -> press Enter.
- Click on System Restore.
- Check for the restore point created before the latest patch update.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and restore your PC to the previous backup.
- Check to see if the issue persists.
3. Uninstall the conflicting antivirus software
- Press Win+X keys on your keyboard -> select Apps & Features.
- Select your antivirus and click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and delete the software.
- Restart your PC.
- Check to see if the issue is resolved.
Note: Users reported this problem with Sophos, Avast, or ArcaBit, so if you’re using any of these applications, be sure to remove them.
In this article, we explored some of the best methods to try and solve the error message Status Bad Impersonation Level error.
This issue seems to be caused by a conflict between some antivirus software and the latest April Windows 10 update patches.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you solve your issue, by using the comment section below.
- What to do if Windows 10 update deleted desktop [EXPERT FIX]
- Direct download links for Windows 10 July Patch Tuesday updates
- May Patch Tuesday updates fix KB4495667 font bugs