Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Valve has finally fulfilled one of the big promises it made to gamers.
- The Steam Deck handheld PC is now getting the Big Picture Mode.
- This is only a Beta testing update for the time being, so go ahead.
We know you have been waiting for this news for quite some time now, so let’s cut all this tension and inform you that Valve came through on its promise.
Indeed, Valve is finally going forward with the Steam Big Picture Mode upgrade it promised the community a while ago.
If you got your hands on a Steam Deck device, you might want to know how to change the resolution when docked or undocked.
And, since this is a gaming device, information such as the best Steam Deck verified games you can play in 2022 is really valuable.
The Steam Deck is finally getting Big Picture Mode
The day has finally come, and in a new beta update to Steam, Valve has rolled out the new controller-first interface that was originally designed for its massively successful handheld PC, the Steam Deck.
Since the Steam Deck’s interface was designed to be used in both handheld and docked modes, it has translated well to be used on standard PC environments that use controllers.
So, we think it’s pretty safe to say that this will be the biggest update Big Picture Mode has received since its debut 10 years ago.
As the company specified in the release notes, the updated Big Picture mode includes features such as:
- New Home Screen, where you can continue playing recent games, and see what’s new with the games in your library.
- New Universal Search, that searches across Library, Store, and your friends
- New controller configurator, designed for ease-of-use of picking, adjusting, or creating custom controller configurations
- Optimized Steam Store for controller navigation
- Updated in-game overlay, with access to achievements and guides
- Press Steam / Guide / PS button while in game
- New system menu, for quick navigation to different parts of the interface
- Access this with the Steam / Guide / PS button
- New quick access menu, for access to notifications, friends list, quick settings, and more.
- Access this with Steam / Guide / PS button + A
How can I test the Beta version of Big Picture Mode for Steam Deck?
- Open Steam.
- Click on Steam, then select Settings.
- Select Account, then click the Change button next to Beta Participation.
- Select Steam Beta Update and then press the OK button.
It’s only natural you would want to be a part of this great effort, so allow us to show you exactly what you need to do in order to achieve it.
After going through the process shown above, you must then edit the Steam launch shortcut and add the following value as a launch parameter before launching the platform through that:
Please keep in mind that Valve said the new interface still needs some polish, but that it is happy with the current state enough to open it up for more feedback before going live to everyone.
Those opting into the test can leave feedback for Valve on the official Big Picture Steam group discussions page here.
Have you already tested this new Big Picture Mode for the Steam Deck handheld PC? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.