Some Steam users reported noticing an issue regarding the download process on the online gaming platform. Apparently, downloads stop for no reason and eventually resume automatically. This behavior could be caused by different issues: internet connectivity, application conflicts, firewall restrictions, and others.
In order to fix this issue, we came up with a series of solutions, listed below.
Why the Steam game download goes randomly on and off?
1. Check the internet
- Use the wired instead of wireless connection on your PC.
- Reboot your router/modem and the PC.
- Disable VPN and proxy services temporarily.
2. Allow Steam to run through Windows Firewall
- Open the Control Panel > go to System & Security.
- Under Windows Defender Firewall, choose to Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Click Change settings > find the Steam app and make sure it has both Public and Private boxes ticked.
- Press OK > try reloading Steam and see if it works.
- Temporarily disable your antivirus or make sure that Steam is whitelisted.
3. Reconnect Steam to the internet
- Click Steam in the top left corner and then select Go Offline…
- Choose Restart in offline mode and wait for the client to restart.
- Click Steam in the top left corner of the Steam client > select Go Online…
- Choose Restart and go online and wait for the client to restart.
- Check to see if this fixed the issue.
4. Change the download region
- In the top left corner, click Steam and then open Settings.
- Select the Downloads tab > click the Download region drop-down menu and select a different region > click OK.
- Check to see if downloading is now done properly.
5. Limit the download bandwidth
- Click Steam in the top left corner and open Settings.
- Select the Downloads tab > expand the Limit bandwidth tab and choose the speed you’d like.
- Confirm the changes and restart Steam.
- Try to see if the changes had any effect. If not, restore back to No limit.
We hope that at least one of our solutions could help you fix the Steam downloading stutters. If you found this article useful, leave a comment in the comment section below.
- Steam failed to apply updates? Fix it in 5 easy steps
- What to do if Steam doesn’t recognize installed games?
- Steam not responding on your PC? Try these simple solutions