For those of you that don’t know, STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. Any toy that has the STEM tag attached to it is meant to be educational in one of these fields.
STEM toys are a great way to stimulate a child’s mental growth and teach them interesting new things without making them feel as if they are at school.
Because STEM toys are quite plenty, we’ve decided to compile a list of the ones we think are the most fun and educational at the same time.
Note: Deals are subject to change. Keep in mind that the price tag often varies. We recommend going on the vendor’s website to check the price. Some of the products may be out of stock by the time you’ve made your purchasing decision. So, hurry up and hit the buy button.
Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100
Thanks to this assembly kit, your child will be able to assemble over 100 different electronic circuit projects with just a bit over 30 electronic parts.
- Kids can construct working models of a photosensor, a flashing light, an adjustable-volume siren and much more
- This stem kit comes with a clear, easy to understand illustrated instruction manual
- Designed for young engineers 8+ years old
- Instructions may be a bit too confusing for younger children
ThinkFun Gravity Maze
Instead, you can make it fun with a toy like the ThinkFun Gravity Maze. Depending on the model you buy, it can be a great tool to help your child learn about engineering electronics and more.
- Helps build spatial reasoning and planning skills
- An engineering and building toy that provides a great stealth learning experience
- Contains 60 challenges, a game grid, 9 towers, 1 target piece, and 3 marbles
- Clear instructions
- Gravity Maze comes with 60 beginners to expert challenges that become increasingly difficult
- Lacks long-term engagement capabilities
The IQ BUILDER set is a great toy that allows you to build almost any shape you can imagine, from a simple triangle to complex fractals, and the 3 booklets that come with the toys are there to help you along the way.
- Can assemble nearly any geometrical configuration you can imagine
- Come with 3 different e-books for 3 different difficulty levels.
- Safe for your child
- The advanced booklet is a bit too difficult for children
Not only does the kit contain all the materials needed to build complex structures such as suspension bridges and houses, but the models can also be previewed thanks to the 3D-viewing mobile app.
- Discover all types of forces applied in buildings and bridges
- Build 9 working models such as a suspension bridge, house and more
- Includes comprehensive guides on each subject
- Models illustrated online at the Engino website or using the Engino 3D app
- Some of the instructions may be unclear
Pakoo STEM Toys Kit 5 in 1
The kit contains 109 parts and your kids can follow the step-by-step instructional booklet to build 5 unique battery-powered electric models.
- Allows you to build 5 unique electric-powered models
- Stimulates creativity
- Encourages teamwork since some projects are difficult to complete on your own
- Safe for children of all ages
- Makes a great gift
- The projects you create may cater to boys more than girls
Closing thoughts on STEM toys for 7 to 9-year-olds
There’s nothing wrong with trying to introduce your child to the fascinating world of science, technology, engineering, or math as long as you know how to do it properly.
Nowadays toys are becoming more and more advanced and creative, so managing to blend a fun time with a bit of learning is much easier than you think.