- Tracing SNMP traffic can help you monitor your data traffic and hardware.
- SNMP monitoring automates the process and can help you find out what applications and server are using up your bandwidth.
- Choosing the right monitoring tool to trace SNMP traffic can be tricky, but knowing your requirements beforehand can help you choose the right tool.
- Explore our guide with the best SNMP monitoring tools to find the right tool that meets your requirements.
Simple Network Management Protocol or SNMP is a framework widely used for managing devices on the network as it comes with a set of operations for monitoring and managing the network.
You can trace SNMP traffic with the best monitoring tools to leverage the protocol to better monitor devices’ key metrics, receive timely alerts, and take polling.
How does SNMP monitoring work?
SNMP monitoring works by sending protocol data units, known as SNMP Get requests to network devices. Network monitoring tools track these communications and fetch data from SNMP.
You can use SNMP monitoring to keep an eye on network and bandwidth usage and monitor other important issues such as uptime and traffic status.
What are the 3 best tools to trace SNMP traffic?
PRTG Network Monitor is an all-in-one network monitoring tool that offers multiple monitoring methods, including SNMP monitoring.
Unlike other tools in the market, it uses sensors as the basic monitoring elements of the tool. Each sensor is tasked with monitoring different components such as CPU load, storage allocation, temperature, etc.
The users can create sensors to trace SNMP traffic on a device that provides traffic data to monitor traffic using Simple Network Management Protocol.
PRTG Network Monitor allows you to define the displayed sensor name with port name templates. All the sensors support IPv6 protocol and have a very low impact on the network performance. The auto-discovery feature creates SNMP traffic sensors for all the interfaces whose SNMP traffic counters are above 0.
Key features of PRTG Network Monitor:
- SNMP compatible with a large range of manufacturers
- Built-in alert feature with a custom threshold value
- Management console with a dashboard view
- IPv6 compatible and low impact on system performance
PRTG Network MonitorEasily trace SNMP traffic on your network with this poweful and easy to use tool.
ManageEngine OpManager offers a comprehensive and scalable SNMP Trap processing for large IT networks.
Using the SNMP trap as the passive monitoring technique, you can gather information related to performance deviation and device health-related issues when it happens between two polls.
With a robust rule-based trap processing engine, ManageEngine OpManager can handle around 300 SNMP traps per second.
It allows you to easily create SNMP trap processes, troubleshoot trap queries in real-time using SNMP, and with SNMP trap forwarding, you can forward traps received in OpManager to any other NMS.
Key features of ManageEngine OpManager:
- Offer granular control over SNMP traps at Varbind level
- Easy to create SNMP trap processors
- Troubleshoot trap queries in real-time using SNMP trap view
- Forward received traps to other NMS platforms
Kaseya Network Monitoring solution makes it easy to perform standard SNMP device monitoring for different types of devices, including routers, switches, and printers on your network.
It provides SNMP monitoring for network devices, routers and switches, and printers.
The VSA Network Topology Map provides complete IT Network visualization. Integrated Kaseya VSA, a network and remote monitoring package monitor everything from hypervisors to routers and firewalls.
Key features of Kaseya Network Monitoring:
- SNMP monitoring for network devices, routers, switches, and printers
- VSA Network Topology Map for complete IT network visualization
- Customizable automation programs with Lua
- Excellent set of monitoring utilities
SNMP monitoring is a commonly used method to monitor large networks with several hundred or even thousands of sensors.
Apart from the network usage monitoring, SNMP can also monitor other network parameters such as CPU usage, temperature, and other readings on requested queries and devices.
Skimming through loads of SNMP traps can add too much stress to everyday IT operations.
SNMP traffic monitoring tool can help you set alerts for specific SNMP traps and filter unwanted trap based alerts while also other vital data related to your network performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
SNMP polling consists of launching remote queries, either actively or on-demand, and using specialized software can be of great help.
The traffic generated by SNMP or the bandwidth consumption by the protocol may seem insignificant to many, but using a great traffic monitoring tool can help others.
SNMP can comprehensively monitor network elements like routers, switches, servers and provide hardware information such as physical location, at others.