- Users become increasingly interested in how VPN works and how it can secure privacy.
- However, disabling a VPN connection when needed is a whole other story.
- Truth be told, disabling or removing VPN connections on Windows 10 couldn't be easier.
- Just follow our guide and you'll be able to remove or disable VPN connections in no time.
More and more users become interested in how VPN works and how it can be used to maximize online privacy. However, there’s another side of using a VPN and that’s how to disable it, especially if its persistence becomes bothersome.
Although the answer might seem obvious, sometimes things might be a tad complicated. For instance, disabling a killswitch-ready VPN might render you unable to access the Internet.
- Private Internet Access - Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
- NordVPN - Secure multiple devices and enjoy stable connections anywhere.
- SurfShark - Price convenient VPN service with all-rounded security features.
- CyberGhost - Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
- ExpressVPN - Browse the web from multiple devices with increased security protocols.
How do I temporarily disable VPN?
1. Use a VPN client
- Launch your VPN client
- Make sure you’re not connected to any VPN server
- Right-click its tray icon
- Close the app from the tray icon menu
Private Internet Access is a user-friendly VPN solution, which means that you won’t have any trouble operating it. You can disable it temporarily without complications, and you don’t even need to quit the app altogether.
Private Internet Access
Need to turn off your VPN so you can access LAN resources? PIA supports LAN traffic without terminating the VPN connection.
If you want to disable your VPN to access LAN resources, you might not even have to do that. PIA has an option to allow LAN traffic even when using the Internet killswitch.
More so, you can toggle a Split Tunnel option. This feature lets you configure a list of apps that will either bypass the VPN tunnel or always stay connected to it while the tunnel is active.
2. Using a manual VPN connection on Windows 10
- Launch the Settings app in Windows 10
- Click the Network & Internet button
- Select the VPN category in the left-hand menu
- On the right, select the VPN connection you want to disable
- Click Disconnect if you want to disconnect or Remove if you want to delete it
Alternatively, you can delete it by accessing the Adapter Settings window, right-clicking the VPN connection you want to remove, and selecting Delete from the context menu.
Disable or remove VPN connections on Windows 10 couldn’t be easier
All things considered, if you follow the steps in our guide, you’ll be able to remove or disable VPN connections on Windows 10 even if you’re not exactly tech-savvy. Although disabling or removing a manual VPN connection might seem a bit complicated, it’s not.
However, if you want to make sure you’re in control when it comes to your VPN connections, we suggest using a reliable service such as PIA. Its user-friendly interface is intuitive enough that even novices can operate it effortlessly.
Whether you need to allow LAN traffic, temporarily disable the killswitch or terminate the VPN connection, PIA lets you do all that with minimum effort.
Your connection is not secure - websites you visit can find out your details:
- Your IP Address:
Companies can sell this information, alongside your location and internet provider name, and profit from it by serving targeted ads or monitoring your data usage.
We recommend Private Internet Access, a VPN with a no-log policy, open source code, ad blocking and much more; now 79% off.
Frequently Asked Questions
From the VPN’s main window, you just disconnect from the server you’ve been connected to. If you want to access the Internet without a VPN, make sure that the killswitch (if available) option is not active. Otherwise, you won’t be able to access the Internet.
If you’re using Windows 10’s built-in VPN service, you will need to locate the VPN Settings window, select the connection and click Remove. You can find the VPN configuration section in the Settings app, under the Network & Internet category.
PIA is, without a doubt, the greatest VPN you can use on Windows 10. However, if you want more choices, take a look at our list of 6 best VPNs you can use on Windows 10.