How to: Update graphics driver on Windows 10
Keeping your drivers updated is crucial if you want to achieve maximum performance. New drivers usually bring various improvements, such as new features and improved stability, so you can see why it’s important to keep your drivers up to data. This is especially important for graphic card drivers because newer versions can offer better performance in latest games. Updating drivers is relatively simple, and today we’re going to show you how to update graphics driver in Windows 10.
How to update graphics drivers on Windows 10?
Solution 1 – Use Device Manager
Updating drivers on Windows 10 is, for the most part, an automatic process. In most cases, Windows 10 will automatically search and install the missing drivers. However, sometimes Windows 10 might not be able to find the appropriate driver, so you’ll have to start the driver update process manually. This is relatively simple, and you can do it right from the Device Manager. To update graphics driver on Windows 10, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Choose Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens, go to Display adapters section, right-click your graphics driver and choose Update Driver Software from the menu.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Wait for a few moments while Windows 10 tries to find and install the latest driver for your PC.
In addition to automatically installing the drivers from the Internet, you can also install the drivers from your local computer. Bear in mind that this method is useful if you already have drivers downloaded on your hard drive. To do that, follow these steps:
- Follow Steps 1 and 2 from above.
- After you choose the option to update driver software, click the Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Now you need to select the location of your graphics driver on your PC. You can do that easily by clicking the Browse button.
- After finding the appropriate folder, click Next and wait for the Windows 10 to scan the folder. If compatible drivers are found, Windows 10 will automatically install them.
After the driver software is successfully installed, restart your PC to complete the installation.
Update drivers automatically
After several tests by our team, we strongly recommend Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus and will keep your system safe from permanent damage caused by the installation of the wrong driver version. Here is the guide how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Solution 2 – Download the drivers manually
This method is a bit more advanced since it requires you to know what type of graphic card you’re using. To find out the model of your graphic card, you can use Device Manager and navigate to Display adapters section like in the previous solution. If the model of graphic card isn’t available, you can use third-party software such as GPU-Z to find the model of your graphic card. You can even get all the necessary information right from the graphic card box, if you still have it.
After finding the model of your graphic card, you need to visit the manufacturer’s website. From there you need to navigate to the Download or Drivers section. Now you need to choose Product Type, Product Series and Product. All this information is available from Device Manager or any other system information tool.
After selecting your graphic card model, you need to select the version of the operating system that you’re using. Keep in mind that you need to select 64-bit version of the driver if you’re using 64-bit operating system in order to get the maximum performance. Lastly, you need to select the language that you want to use for the setup process. After doing that, click the Search button on the website and the list of all compatible drivers will appear.
Before downloading a driver you can see the list of improvements as well its version and release date. If you want, you can check the list of supported graphic cards to make sure that your graphic card is compatible with the new driver. If everything is in order, click the Download button.
After the setup file is downloaded, you need to run it and follow the instructions to complete the setup process. After the new graphics driver is installed, restart your computer to complete the installation.
We also have to mention that many graphics card manufacturers have a dedicated scanner that you can download and use to scan your system. This scanner will automatically detect your graphics card and download the latest drivers for it. This is extremely useful if you can’t find your graphics card model or if you can’t find the appropriate driver on your own. We have to mention that these tools require Java, so be sure that you have Java installed on your PC.
If you have an integrated graphics card, you can download the drivers from your motherboard or laptop manufacturer. If you want the latest drivers, you can download them directly from the graphics card manufacturer like we showed you. The process is almost identical for every type of graphics card, regardless if it’s Nvidia or AMD.
This method is slightly more complicated, but it allows you to choose the best driver for your PC. By using Device Manager sometimes you might not download the latest drivers, so in order to ensure that you have the latest drivers on your PC, we highly recommend that you download and install the drivers manually.
As you can see, updating the graphics driver on Windows 10 is quite simple, and you can do it automatically by using Device Manager. If you’re an experienced user, we highly recommend that you download the graphics driver manually from the manufacturer’s website.
- How to download Kyocera printer drivers for Windows 10
- You can now include driver updates when updating Windows 10
- Fix: Windows Driver Frameworks uses too much CPU
- Update to the latest Surface Studio Drivers now
- Fix: “The best driver software is already installed” on Windows 10
Memory dump files, otherwise crash dumps, are system files saved during blue screen crashes. When a BSOD error message appears, Windows saves a copy of […]
Can’t enjoy the Netflix app on your Windows 10 PC due to There was a problem connecting to Netflix error? Worry not, we got solutions […]
Recently, many users reported Sorry something went wrong Instagram error. This error can be quite problematic since you won’t be able to sign-in to Instagram […]