- More and more users have a hard time enjoying Microsoft Store apps over a VPN connection.
- Private Internet Access is a premium non-interfering VPN service that easily solves the issue.
- Take your time to closely check out our Microsoft Store section next.
- Explore our VPN Guides Hub for more handy solutions to all your VPN problems.
Are you unable to access Microsoft Store over a VPN connection? The issue of VPN blocking Microsoft Store is quite common on modern Windows PCs.
To resolve this issue, go to the next section.
Has anyone found a solution to the problem with Microsoft Store not working while running on a VPN? For some reason having a VPN running confuses Windows and it doesn’t recognize that there is a connection to the Internet. Everything else I have installed on my PC works just fine while a Windows app on a Windows PC gets confused by Windows.
What to do if Windows 10 apps aren’t working over VPN?
1. Try out a non-interfering VPN solution
Microsoft Store is clearly supposed to work with a VPN. Therefore, the issue most often resides in your current VPN solution.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a top recommendation for those looking to try a VPN for privacy and perfect compatibility with various desktop and mobile platforms.
Private Internet Access also comes with the best security features you can find on a VPN, consistent speeds for P2P torrenting, and the ability to bypass content restrictions.
Therefore, don’t hesitate to try out this Kape Technologies VPN.
Private Internet AccessPrivate Internet Access is fully compatible with Microsoft Store apps. Claim the best deal right away!
2. Reconfigure VPN settings in Control Panel
- Open Control Panel.
- When Control Panel opens, navigate to Network and Internet.
- Select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Navigate to the left-hand section, locate and click on Change Adapter Settings. This will open the network connections window.
- Locate your VPN connection, right-click on it, and select Properties.
- On the VPN properties window, locate the Client for Microsoft Networks option and check the box beside it.
- Click OK to apply changes.
- Exit program.
3. Change Network Settings in Group Policy Editor
To do this, follow the guidelines below:
- Open Run dialog box: click Win Key + R.
- In the box, type in gpedit.msc and click OK to open Group Policy Editor.
- In the gpedit’s window, double-click on Computer Configuration.
- Select Administrator Templates > Network > Network Isolation.
- Enable the following policies: Subnet Definitions are authoritative and Private Network ranges for apps.
- Input your internal IP-subnet range: 10.0.0.0/8.
- Save changes and close the program.
- Restart PC.
There you go, these are some simple methods that you can try if your VPN blocks Microsoft Store apps on your PC.
If our solutions didn’t work for you, try disabling your VPN temporarily or consider switching to a different VPN client.
You may also take a closer look at some of the most common VPN errors and their solutions for more quick tips.
FAQ: Learn more about using a VPN
- Does Windows 10 have a built-in VPN?
Windows 10 only comes with the built-in ability to function as a VPN server by using the point-to-point tunneling protocol, so don’t hesitate to choose the best VPN for enhanced security.
- Are free VPNs any good?
Keep in mind that free VPNs don’t always cope well with assuring privacy. Therefore, don’t hesitate to try one of these powerful antivirus tools with free VPN.
- Is VPN illegal?
Be sure that using a VPN is perfectly legal as long as you’re not doing anything illegal.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.