Fix: VPN not working with Kodi
If you are experiencing a situation where your VPN is not working with Kodi, then read on.
Kodi is a popular open-source media center for Windows PC. Furthermore, Kodi enables you to stream music, TV series, movies, etc. In addition, you can stream latest media content by using any of the available Kodi add-ons.
However, when Kodi is used with VPN, it enables users to bypass geo-restrictions and stream media effortlessly; but some VPN users experience several issues where VPN not working with Kodi.
Meanwhile, Windows Report have compiled the following fixes applicable is solving the VPN not working with Kodi problem
Fix: VPN not working with Kodi
Solution 1: Check your internet connection
Windows users reported that limited/inactive internet connection can cause the VPN not working with Kodi problem. Hence, you need to test your Internet connection. In order to test your internet connection, disconnect from the VPN service and try to access any website on your web browser. If you are unable to access the Internet while disconnected from the VPN, then you may need to consider changing your Internet connection mode to modem, broadband or Wi-Fi connection.
Solution 2: Restart your PC
Another way to resolve the VPN problem is simply by restarting their PC. This method is a quick fix which can possibly resolve your VPN connection, hence making it work with Kodi. Alternatively, you can shut down your PC and wait for few minutes before restarting your PC.
Solution 3: Check your Date and Time Settings
Some VPN won’t work with Kodi because of the incorrect date and time settings on your PC. Check the date and time settings to ensure they are correct. Disable automatic update of date and time using the Internet, and set the date/time parameters manually.
Also Read: FIX: ExpressVPN won’t launch on Windows 10
In addition, you should also consider changing your region/location to reflect the selected server location on your VPN settings. However, if you still get the error after trying our this fix, you may proceed to the next step.
Solution 4: Check your IP address
If VPN is not working with Kodi, check your IP address for information such as your city or region (country) next to the location you selected in the VPN windows. You can use a web service such as IPLocation and WhatIsMyIPAddress to check your IP address location. However, if you are not connected to the VPN server’s location, try connecting again. Alternatively, you may consider connecting to other VPN server locations and then access Kodi service again.
Solution 5: Disable your security software
Some Antivirus programs may block your VPN connection hindering you from accessing Kodi. Hence, you may need to temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall so as to be able to access Kodi. However, some Antivirus programs have the “temporarily disable protection” option which you can use while others do not.
Furthermore, if you have the option to reinstall the security software or program blocking the VPN connection, install it after the VPN software has been installed so that it allows the VPN to connect. Hence, uninstall the VPN software followed by the security program blocking the connection, then install VPN software again, and then reinstall the security program on your PC. Alternatively, you can also enable the VPN software in Windows firewall. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to Start > Type “Allow a program through Windows firewall” and then hit “Enter” key
- Click on “Change Settings” options
- Now, Click on “Allow another program”
- Select the program you want to add, or click Browse to find the VPN software, and then click OK
- Check if you can connect again and try to access Kodi.
However, if this does not work, proceed to the next step.
Also Read: FIX: Hulu won’t work when VPN is enabled
Solution 6: Manually configure DNS settings
Manually configuring your computer with other DNS server addresses helps you access Kodi, and enjoy faster connection speeds. Some computers may not automatically connect to the VPN DNS servers; hence you need to configure it with your VPN DNS servers’ IP addresses, manually. Here’s how to do it in Windows:
Step 1: Open Network Connections settings
- Right click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and click OK
- In Network connections window, find your usual connection, either LAN or Wireless network connection.
- Right click the connection and select Properties
Step 2: Set the DNS server addresses
- Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) or just Internet Protocol
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses
- Type these Google DNS server addresses: Preferred DNS server 18.104.22.168 and Alternate DNS server 22.214.171.124
- If Google DNS is blocked, try the following: Neustar DNS Advantage (126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52) enter and press OK, and, Level3 DNS (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11) enter and press OK.
Solution 7: Run Windows Update
Another way of fixing the VPN not working with Kodi problem is by updating your Windows Operating System to the latest version. Latest Windows updates improve the system’s stability and fix various issues you may encounter most especially VPN related. However, you can follow these steps to update any Windows OS:
- Go to Start>type “update” in the search box and then click on “Windows Update” to proceed.
- In the Windows Update window, check for updates and install the available updates.
- After the update is complete, restart your Windows PC.
Also Read: Fix: VPN not working after Windows 10 update
Solution 8: Flush the DNS/Clear Cache
Another way of fixing the VPN won’t work with Kodi problem is by flushing your DNS and clearing your web browsers cache. DNS entries from your Internet Service Provider may be wrong and probably utilized by Kodi to block your VPN from accessing their service. Hence, you need to flush you DNS and clear your web browser’s cache afterwards. Here’s how to do this:
Step 1: Flush the DNS
- Go to Start > All Apps > Accessories
- Right-click “Start” and select Command Prompt (Admin)
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter. You should get a confirmation that says: Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache
Step 2: Clear Web Browser Cache
- Launch your web browser e.g. Microsoft Edge
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete to access the “Clear recent history” dialog box.
- Under the “Time range to clear” drop-down menu, select “Everything”.
- Make sure to check the “Cache” box. Click on Clear Now.
Note: Ctrl + Shift + Delete can also be used to clear cache on other web browsers such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, Microsoft Edge, etc.
Solution 9: Manually configure proxy settings
Proxy server is a server (a computer system or an application) that acts as an intermediary for web requests. A proxy server releases its static/dynamic I.P address for you so that you can access other websites using their location. In addition, you can change the I.P address on your browser whether Firefox, Chrome, Opera or Internet Explorer using the following Methods:
Firefox: Tools > Options > Advanced > Settings > Manual proxy configuration.
Chrome: Settings > Network > Change proxy settings > LAN settings > Use proxy server > Advanced > HTTP.
Opera: Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Network
Internet Explorer: Tools > Internet options > Connections > LAN settings > Use proxy server > Advanced > HTTP.
Once you have entered the I.P address and port appropriately you obtained from the VPN service, check your I.P address with an I.P address checker as IPLocation and WhatIsMyIPAddress to confirm that your I.P address has really been changed.
Solution 10: Reinstall the VPN client
In addition, if any other fixes above did not resolve your VPN not working with Kodi problem, you should consider uninstall and reinstall your VPN client, Here’s how to do this:
- Right click Start and select Programs and Features
- Find your VPN from the list of programs and select Uninstall
- In the Setup Wizard, click You’ll get a notification after a successful uninstall, so click Close to exit the wizard.
- If the your VPN is still listed as available after uninstalling it, right click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and press Enter to open the Network Connections window
- Under Network Connections, right click on the WAN Miniport labeled your VPN
- Select Delete
- Click Start and select Settings
- Click Network & Internet
- Select VPN. If you see your VPN as available, delete it
After complete uninstall, proceed to install the VPN client on your PC, and then access Kodi afterwards.
Solution 11: Change your VPN
Good VPN providers like CyberGhost, NordVPN, and Hotspot Shield VPN work best with Kodi.
CyberGhost has 75 servers in more than 15 countries, so you can access Kodi, whether the services are blocked or not where you reside. Its Unblock Streaming feature lets you access other popular streaming services without testing servers manually. Features include hiding of IP, IP sharing as an additional security layer, and Leak Protection against IPv6 leaks, DNS and port forwarding leaks.
- Get now CyberGhost (71% off)
For more information on how to install and run CyberGhost, check out this guide.
Hotspot Shield VPN not only lets you stream Kodi remotely, but also surf anonymously, unlock websites, secure web sessions at hotspots, and protect your online privacy. It is one of the most trusted VPNs to access Kodi or other blocked websites, with fast service, and a safer web offering as it protects your data.
This VPN never logs any of your information wherever you are, and also has desktop and mobile apps for any and all devices, with access to more than 1000 servers in 26 locations on up to 5 devices simultaneously.
- Buy now Hotspot Shield VPN
Let us know if any of these solutions helped fix the VPN not working with Kodi problem, by leaving a comment in the section below.
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]
Microsoft released a new Windows 7 update to the general public. Update KB4457139 is actually a preview of the upcoming monthly rollup update and allows users […]