Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- If you frequently use your webcam, you need trustworthy webcam security camera software to protect your privacy.
- It is possible to use a webcam as a security camera in Windows 10 to stay safe from hackers and malware attacks.
- While they can act as webcam spy software or hidden camera, we reckon you can use such tools for security reasons, including video surveillance.
- You can easily set up a recording schedule, assign passwords to recordings, and bind cameras from multiple places.
Do you want to add a plus of security to your home or business without having to invest too much in specialized hardware solutions? Webcam security camera software is your answer.
If you are worried about your private space or if you just want to be able to verify certain locations remotely, then you should consider using your own Windows 10 PC as a security camera.
In the following guidelines, we will review the best apps that can be used on Windows to control the built-in webcam as a security surveillance camera. Here’s a quick preview of our top picks:
- EyeLine Video Surveillance – Webcam motion detection software with playback footage
- iSpy – Free webcam surveillance software (for personal use only)
- ContaCam – Lightweight & intuitive webcam CCTV software
- Yawcam – Easy-to-use webcam surveillance software
- Active WebCam – Stealthy & discreet webcam spy software
- WebCam Monitor – Best webcam monitoring software for entry users
How is that possible? As you will see, it’s not that complicated to use a webcam as a security camera on Windows 10. But, you do need to install a dedicated program on your computer.
Can I use a webcam as security camera?
Yes, that’s right. Your own computer can serve as a real security service for home and business. And you won’t have to buy and set up an actual security network.
Instead, you can choose to use your computer’s built-in web camera, or other external webcams that can be attached to your Windows 10 system.
These programs will enable the webcam and will add dedicated features to transform the built-in camera into a security surveillance service and solution.
What app can I use to view my security cameras?
EyeLine Video Surveillance – Top-notch webcam motion detection software
The EyeLine webcam security camera software helps you set up each camera with just a click of a button and alerts you when it detects any motion.
You also have a web control panel to access and view recordings remotely over the Internet.
After hours, it monitors office buildings for security and is extremely effective for video surveillance in retail establishments to discourage theft.
EyeLine Video Surveillance allows you to record and save compressed surveillance material for later use. Motion detection recording saves space by only recording when necessary.
When you have pets and leave them at home alone, simple and effective video security may be particularly useful.
Furthermore, when implemented in combination with a security alarm system, it may be used to playback footage and determine the cause of an alarm while you are away.
Here are the key features of EyeLine:
- Simultaneously records up to 100+ camera sources
- USB cameras and networked IP cameras both supported
- Email or SMS alerts available for motion detection
- Optional time stamping of recorded video frames
- Video can be monitored live as it is being recorded
- Display options for watching the video on a second monitor, television, or other screens
- Find and play surveillance recordings ordered by camera, date, duration, and motion detected
EyeLine Video SurveillanceEnjoy a multi-camera security system that records motion for 100+ cameras.
iSpy – Free webcam surveillance software (personal use only)
iSpy is perhaps the most complex open-source video surveillance software available for the Windows platform.
The program will control your webcams and will let you access the recorded content from anywhere in the world. You can do it from a laptop, notebook, desktop, and even from a portable device.
It has features for both mid-range and high-end users. This means it can be used in different situations and for solving various security challenges.
The app can also be customized and optimized through dedicated plugins and comes with built-in functionality for:
- motion detection & motion processing
- recording, scheduling & audio
- remote access, network audio broadcasting & password protection
- desktop recording, cloud uploading, and a lot more
Even though its user interface can be a little bit intimidating, once you get used to its options and everything that you can configure, you will be more than satisfied with your choice.
And everything without investing a single cent. As already outlined iSpy is an open-source app so it can be downloaded and used for free.
⇒ Get iSpy
ContaCam – Lightweight & intuitive webcam CCTV software
ContaCam is another open-source video surveillance program that works great on Windows 10 OS.
Unlike iSpy, this software brings a more user-friendly interface with intuitive built-in settings. The basic features include:
- history tracking
- remote watching through port forwarding or Dropbox
- audio support, and motion detection
ContaCom can be very useful especially if you aren’t looking for a complex/complete service. You won’t get extra plugins or other similar tweaks as explained in the iSpy review.
Furthermore, ContaCam is a light and fast application which runs great even in a low-light environment. Additionally, it won’t require too much power so it can be successfully used on low-end configurations.
Yawcam – Easy-to-use webcam surveillance software
Yawcam comes as yet another webcam software but it’s more than that. So, is Yawcam safe?
As safe as it gets. Written in Java, this program ensures great webcam control when it comes to setting up a basic video surveillance network.
Just like the other apps that were reviewed already, Yawcam will use the built-in webcam and the external cameras that are attached to your Windows 10 computer. It will record everything that happens in the implied perimeter.
You can install and configure Yawcam within minutes. It features intuitive settings that can be smartly applied even if you aren’t used to these kinds of operations.
And yes, it packs all the basic features such as motion detection, FTP upload, password protection, video streaming, and multi-languages.
Active WebCam – Stealthy & discreet webcam spy software
Active WebCam can control an unlimited number of cameras and ensures simultaneous recordings which you can observe remotely from any web browser.
You can also watch a playback while the recording is still going, or you can choose to see an archive of snapshots in a sequence of still images.
It works with all USB and Parallel Port cameras, Capture Devices, and Framegrabbers compatible with Windows, TV boards, and Network IP Cameras.
The stealth mode renders the software entirely invisible, as no icon appears in the system tool tray and no taskbar tray is displayed.
You can launch the software as a Windows service. This means it begins automatically when the system boots and runs even when no user is signed in.
These are the main features of Active WebCam:
- Encrypted Transmission is supported
- Dynamic IP Service, which changes your computer’s IP address as needed
- Assists you with developing a web page for your web camera
- The active region for motion detection may be defined
WebCam Monitor – Best webcam monitoring software for entry users
WebCam Monitor is another webcam security camera software that got good reviews from both entry-level and power users.
The program is packed with essential features so it can detect motion and noise, trigger alerts, and send email notifications or text messages.
The recorded videos will be stored on a specialized server. Alternatively, you can choose to stream certain recordings over the Internet if you want to have full control over your security cameras from any computer or portable device that has an Internet connection enabled.
Setting up this surveillance system can be done through a dedicated wizard, which will guide you through different tweaks and functions.
These built-in features can be configured depending on what you want to obtain from your own security solution.
So, does Windows 10 have camera software? It does and it is simply called Camera. If your camera app isn’t working, make sure to check out the workarounds we suggested.
These are some of the best webcam security camera software that can help you use a webcam as a security camera on Windows 10.
If you have trouble getting your camera up and running, here’s how to fix webcam connection issues on Windows.