- If you freqently use your webcam to talk to friends or business partners, you need trustworthy webcam software
- To stay safe from hackers and malware attacks, protect your webcam with security software
- If you have trouble getting your camera up and running, here's how to fix webcam connection issues on Windows
- Visit our Webcam section to check out more cool guides made by our editors!
Do you want to add a plus of security to your home or business without having to invest too much on specialized hardware solutions?
If you are worried about your private space or if you just want to be able to verify certain locations remotely, then you should consider in using your own Windows 10 PC as a security camera.
Yes, that’s right; your own computer can serve as a real security service for home and business, all without having to buy and set an actual security network.
Instead, you can choose to use your computer’s built-in web camera, or other external webcams that can be attached to your Windows 10 system.
How is that possible? As you will see, using your PC as a security camera isn’t that complicated. But, you do need to install a dedicated program on your computer.
This program will enable the webcam and will add dedicated features which can then transform the built-in camera into a security surveillance service and solution.
So, in the following guidelines we will review the best apps that can be used on the Windows 10 OS and which can control the built-in webcam as a security surveillance camera.
How can I use my Windows 10 PC as a security camera?
1. EyeLine Video Surveillance Software (our recommendation)
The EyeLine video surveillance software solution helps you set up each camera with just a click of a button and alerts you when it detects any motion. You also have a web control panel to access and view recordings remotely over the Internet.
Here are the key features of EyeLine:
- Simultaneously records up to 100+ camera sources
- USB cameras and networked IP cameras both supported
- Motion detection recording saves space by only recording when something is happening
- Email or SMS alerts available for motion detection
- Optional time stamping of recorded video frames
- Save video footage to a network folder or back up via FTP
- Video can be monitored live as it is being recorded
- Display options for watching the video on a second monitor, television, or other screens
- Find and play surveillance recordings ordered by camera, date, duration, and motion detected.
iSpy is perhaps the most complex open source video surveillance software available for the Windows platform.
The program will control your webcams and will let you access the recorded content from anywhere in the world – you can do it from a laptop, notebook, desktop and even from a portable device.
It has features for both mid-range and high-end users which means that it can be used in different situations and for solving various security challenges.
The app can also be customized and optimized through dedicated plugins and comes with built-in functionality for motion detection, motion processing, recording, scheduling, audio, remote access, network audio broadcasting, password protection, desktop recording, cloud uploading and lot more.
Even though its user interface can be a little bit intimidating, once you get used to its options and with everything that you can configure, you will be more than satisfied with your choice.
And everything without investing a single cent – as already outlined iSpy is an open-source app so it can be downloaded and used for free.
⇒ Get iSpy
ContaCam is another open-source video surveillance program that works great on the Windows 10 OS.
Unlike iSpy, this software brings a more user-friendly interface with intuitive built-in settings and with basic features such as history tracking, remote watching through port forwarding or Dropbox, audio support, motion detection, and several other functionalities that can turn out to be useful especially if you aren’t looking for a complex/complete service – you won’t get extra plugins or other similar tweaks as explained in the iSpy review.
However, ContaCam is a light and fast application which runs great even in a low-light environment. Additionally, it won’t require too much power so it can be successfully used even on low-end configurations.
- If you want to monitor your employees, check out this list with the best monitoring software available today.
Yawcam comes as ‘yet another webcam software’ but it’s more than that. Written in Java, this program ensures great webcam control when it comes to setting up a basic video surveillance network.
Just like the other apps that were reviewed already, Yawcam will use the built-in webcam and the external cameras that are attached to your Windows 10 computer and will record everything that happens in the implied perimeter.
Yawcam can be installed and configured within minutes and features intuitive settings that can be smartly applied even by users who aren’t used to these kinds of operations.
And yes, it packs all the basic features such as motion detection, ftp-upload, password protection, video streaming, and multi-languages.
Editor’s Note: This article continues on the next page. If you’re interested in other webcam products, check out our wide collection of guides.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the camera software of Windows 10 is simply called Camera. If your Camera app isn’t working, make sure to check out the workarounds we suggested.
If you’re worried about your online privacy, then you should block your computer camera to remain on the safe side.
Don’t hesitate to explore the wide range of camera buying guides we prepared for you.