- The reasons why your Wi-Fi repeater is not working can vary from incorrect settings to hardware issues.
- When your Wi-Fi repeater won't connect, make sure that you have plugged correctly all the wires.
- If everything is properly connected but the device is still not working, check the Wi-Fi settings.
- The Wi-Fi repeater still not working? Restore the device to its default settings, and connect it again.
Installing a Wi-Fi repeater is a good solution when you need to cover a wide area of your home, with Wi-Fi signal. However, some users have reported that their Wi-Fi repeater/extender won’t connect.
There are cases in which your Wi-Fi works without any issues until you’re trying to connect an extender. Then, your device tells you that it can’t connect to the network, or, in some cases, can’t connect at all.
For these reasons in this article, we will explore some of the best methods to deal with this issue, and be able to easily connect to your Wi-Fi network using the signal extender.
Firstly, make sure that you have connected it correctly, according to its manual. Every Wi-Fi repeater comes with a connection diagram or steps that you mush follow in order to make it work.
What do I do if the Wi-Fi extender isn’t working?
1. Reset Wi-Fi extender/repeater
Depending on the brand your Wi-fi extender is, the exact location of the reset button will vary. It is usually found at the back of your extender, near the ethernet cable port.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
It can be a button that can be pressed by using a needle, or it could be a normal switch-type button, like in the above picture.
In order to reset your Wi-fi extender, press/switch the reset button and wait for 10 seconds, then switch it back on, or release it. This will reset all the previous settings and will allow you to modify them.
If your Wi-Fi repeater is still not working after the Reset procedure, follow the next steps.
2. Forget the network from your PC
- Press Windows + I key combination to open Settings.
- Select Network & Internet.
- From the left pane, choose Wi-Fi.
- Click on Manage known networks.
- Click on your Wi-Fi repeater/extender and select Forget.
- After you click on Forget, the network will disappear from the list. Go to the right corner of your taskbar and click the Wi-Fi icon.
- Search for the repeater’s network and connect to it again.
3. Check to see if your Wi-Fi repeater is on the same network
Check your router’s SSID and check to see if another similar network is available by using another device (phone, tablet, etc.).
For example, if your router SSID is TP-Link_Router, the default SSID for your extender would be TP-Link_Router or Link_Router_EXT.
To change these settings, you will need to access the IP address for router settings your internet provider gave you, by using your PC’s browser.
The IP for your router and extender will both vary from company to company. Check with your Internet provider for details.
4. Check for hardware issues
Physical hardware issues can occur with any device and Wi-Fi repeaters are not an exception. For instance, the Ethernet port can be broke.
Take a look at the repeater front, you can notice that there are several LEDs. Make sure that the LEDs are on and have the right color indicated in the device manual. Usually, the color should be green, white, or yellow.
If no led is on, either the device is broken, the charger or the power outlet has an issue. To conclude that is a repeater problem, you can check the power outlet with another device, to see if it’s working properly.
Furtherly, for a hardware issue with the repeater, you can send it to a service or buy a new one if the guaranty has expired.
In this article, we explored some of the best troubleshooting methods if your Wi-Fi repeater is not working and you are not able to connect to the Internet.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you solve your issue, by using the comment section below.