Microsoft has changed the way how the system activates with Windows 10, and due to different activation method some users are getting the 0x803F7001 error, so let’s see how to fix this error.
Previous versions of Windows could be activated simply by entering the product key, but Windows 10 brought us digital entitlement that doesn’t require you to enter the product key. Using digital entitlement method your Windows 10 gets activated when you upgrade from genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. However, it has been reported that this method of activation has its flaws, and one of these flaws is error 0x803F7001.
Here are some more examples of this problem:
- 0x803f7001 after hardware upgrade – This problem usually appears after you replace a piece of your computer’s hardware.
- Windows 10 activation failed because this device doesn’t have a valid digital entitlement
- slui 4 not working Windows 10 – slui 4 is one of the most common methods of activating Windows, but if it doesn’t work, the 0x803F7001 error will appear.
How to fix error 0x803F7001 in Windows 10
Solution 1 – Change the product key
Users report that they are getting the message saying “Activation failed because this device doesn’t have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code: 0x803F7001” when they navigate to the Activation section in the Settings app. In order to fix this you just need to change the product key by following these instructions:
- Open Settings app and go to Update and Security section.
- Next, go to the Activation screen and click the Change product key.
- If you get User Account Control prompt just click Yes.
- Find the version of Windows 10 that you’re using and enter the product key from the list below:
- Windows 10 Home: YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
- Windows 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
- Windows 10 Home N: 4CPRK-NM3K3-X6XXQ-RXX86-WXCHW
- Windows 10 Home Single Language: BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
- Windows 10 Home Country Specific: 7B6NC-V3438-TRQG7-8TCCX-H6DDY
- Windows 10 Professional N: 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT
- After entering the product key, click Next.
- You will get a message saying “ We couldn’t activate Windows”.
- Repeat the entire process from Step 1, but this time enter your serial number for your copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
- If the process is successful you should get a message saying that you’re running a genuine version of Windows 10.
Solution 2 – Activate Windows 10 via phone
If you’re getting error 0x803F7001 while activating Windows 10, you might want to try activating it over a phone. To do that follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter Slui 4. Press Enter or click OK to run it.
- Now, select your country or region from the list.
- You should see a toll free number. You need to call it and enter your installation ID.
- After you’ve made the call, you should get confirmation ID.
- Click Enter confirmation ID and type the confirmation ID that you were given.
- Click Activate and that’s it.
Solution 3 – Upgrade to Windows 10 again
This is the last solution if none of the other solutions work for you. To do this, you’ll need to install a genuine version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and activate it. After you’ve activated Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you’ll have to upgrade to Windows 10 again and try activating Windows 10 again.
As we said, this is the last solution, and only do it if there’s no other way to fix error 0x803F7001.
If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, just let us know in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows Update not working on Windows 10 [Fix]
- How to install Windows 10 Creators Update from an ISO file
- How to fix Windows Update error 0x8024001e on Windows 10