Windows 10 build 14936 available for Fast ring Insiders
Microsoft has pushed a new Windows 10 build for Insiders in the Fast ring. The new build is labelled 14936, and, unlike the previous release, is available on both Windows 10 PC and Mobile.
Windows 10 build 14936 brings a couple of new features, and system improvements. With this release, Microsoft continues to improve the experience in Microsoft Edge, but also brought some functionality enhancements. We should note once again that this build still counts as the ‘early Redstone 2 build,’ so major improvements are not available yet.
Just like we suggested a week ago, Microsoft released three new extensions for Edge. If you’ve been following the situation, you probably guessed that these extensions are Microsoft Shopping Assistant, Turn Off the Lights, and Tampermonkey.
Additionally, Microsoft has introduced some changes to NAS devices and home file servers. So, users might need to adjust their settings in order to be able to access the home network folder again.
After updating to the latest Insider Preview builds, you may have noticed that shared devices on your home network have disappeared from your home network folder. You may have also noticed your mapped network drives are not available. If you change your network to ‘private’ or ‘enterprise,’ it should start working again.
And finally, , the Windows Subsystem for Linux has been improved with Ubuntu version 16.04. The new new version replaces the older Ubuntu 14.04. However, Microsoft said that this change would affect only new instances (lxrun.exe /install or first run of bash.exe). Existing instances with Trusty won’t receive this update automatically.
Known issues and improvements in Windows 10 build 14936
As always, Microsoft presented the list of known issues and system improvements. Once again, the list of known issues is pretty small, which is a good thing, and indeed a lot of Insiders have been reporting that this build works very well. But as always, we’ll check that by ourselves, by searching for reported issues from more Insiders.
Here’s what has been improved in Windows 10 build 14936:
Improvements and fixes for PC
- “We fixed the issue causing Narrator to continually speak the progress of a song e.g. update with the current time of the progress bar every second if you navigate to the progress bar while a song is playing in Groove Music.
- We fixed the issue where using the tab key to navigate the Settings app wouldn’t work.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Explorer.exe frequently crashing for some Insiders, particularly for those with multiple network switches.”
Improvements and fixes for Mobile
- “We fixed the issue causing the pin pad to not be visible to unlock the phone even after rebooting the phone.
- We fixed the issue where some phones lose the ability to use their SIM cards.
- We fixed the mobile hotspot issue where it works the first time but subsequent attempts to use the feature won’t work until the phone is rebooted.
- We fixed an issue causing some devices such as the Lumia 650 from failing to install a new build with Error 0x80188308.
- We fixed the issue causing some build updates to fail with an 800703ed error code.
- We fixed the issue where Action Center no longer closes if you swipe up on the empty space (area of Action Center that doesn’t show any notifications).
- We fixed an issue where notifications were unexpectedly showing the app logo within the notification when viewed in Action Center.
- We fixed an issue for devices that shipped with Windows Phone 8.1, such as the Lumia 930 and 1520, where if you plugged in a headset during an ongoing call, the audio would not be routed to the headset.”
And, here’s the list of known issues:
Known issues for PC
- “Optional components may not work after upgrading to this build. To get it working again, go to “Turn Windows features on or off”, scroll down and check the right optional component and click ok. After a reboot, the optional component will be enabled again.
- Tencent apps and games will cause your PC to bugcheck (bluescreen).
- Running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt will fail at 20% with the error “could not perform the requested operation.””
Known issues for Mobile
- “If you have your default storage set to a SD card for apps, installation of apps like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and WeChat will fail with an error. As a workaround, set your default location to your device’s onboard storage.”
To download the latest Windows 10 build, just head over to the Settings app > Updates & security, and check for updates. If you’ve already downloaded the build, tell us more about your experience in the comment section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 build 14393.222 (KB3194496) available for Release Preview and Slow Ring
- Microsoft patent reveals new plans to spy users for better Bing search results
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update adoption rate is on the rise
- Microsoft acknowledges Windows phone error 8500201D preventing email syncing
MS Office 2013 users can utilize templates for preformatted documents. However, some Office users have said that a Something went wrong while downloading your template […]
The new Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) product and strategy announced last year in September is here. Well, the Redmond giant planned to offer an early […]
Microsoft just released KB4493132 to Windows 7 computers thus adding end of support notifications.The notifications remind users to upgrade to Windows 10 before January 14th, 2020. The […]