Windows 10 has all sorts of improvements over the previous versions, but despite the improvements there are a few flaws. Some users report that they can’t purchase apps from Windows Store and that they are getting Give it another try something went wrong error message.
What to do if You Can’t Purchase an App from Windows 10 Store
Windows Store allows you to download and install various apps on your PC, but sometimes certain issues can appear. Speaking of Windows Store issues, these are some of the most common Windows Store problems:
- Windows 10 Store can’t buy – This is a relatively common problem with Windows Store. If you encounter this issue, we advise you to check your antivirus settings. In worst case scenario, you might have to switch to a different antivirus application.
- Microsoft Store won’t let me buy – If you’re having this problem with Windows Store, the issue might be your region settings. Simply change your region and check if that solves the problem.
- Windows Store unable to purchase – Many users reported that they are unable to purchase apps on Windows Store. If you’re having this problem, try resetting your Windows Store cache and check if that helps.
- Microsoft Store your purchase couldn’t be completed – This issue can sometimes appear due to your firewall. Windows Store requires Windows Firewall to be enabled, and if your firewall isn’t running, you can encounter this issue.
- Windows Store something went wrong – This is a common error that can appear in Windows Store. If you’re having this issue, try accessing the Store from a different account or create a new user account.
- Windows 10 Store cannot purchase – Sometimes you can encounter this issue while using Windows Store. To fix it, be sure to disable your proxy.
This error occurs when users try to purchase an app from the Store, and if you’re having that problem, don’t worry, there are a few solutions that you can try.
Solution 1 – Change Your Region
Windows 10 Store won’t allow you to make any purchases if the region on your computer is different from the region of your Microsoft Account. To fix this, simply change your region, and Windows 10 Store should allow you to make purchases. To change your region in Windows 10, do the following:
- Open Settings app and go to Time & Language.
- Go to Region & language, and change your region to the proper one.
Changing your region should fix the problem, but if it’s still present, try some of the solutions below.
Solution 2 – Check your antivirus
According to users, the main cause for this problem might be your antivirus software. Antivirus applications are crucial for your online security, but sometimes they can interfere with certain Windows components and cause issues to appear.
Many users reported that Windows Store is not allowing app purchase, and the main cause for this problem was Kaspersky Antivirus. To fix the problem, open your antivirus settings and change its configuration. If that doesn’t help, you might have to temporarily disable your antivirus.
In worst case scenario, you’ll have to remove your antivirus from your PC and check if that solves the problem. Although users reported Kaspersky as the main issue, other antivirus tools can also cause this problem to appear, so even if you don’t have Kaspersky, be sure to try this solution.
If removing the antivirus solves the problem, we advise you to switch to a different antivirus software. There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but the best are Bitdefender, BullGuard, and Panda Antivirus, so feel free to try any of them.
Solution 3 – Reset Windows Store cache
If Windows Store isn’t allowing app purchase, the problem might be your cache. Windows Store has its own cache, and sometimes it can get corrupted. If the cache is corrupted, you can experience various problems with the Store. However, you can always clear your cache by running a single application. To do that, just follow these simple steps:
- Press Windows key + S to open the Search window.
- When the Search window opens type wsreset.exe. This will run the application that will clear Windows store cache. After the application is finished, try purchasing the app from the store again.
Solution 4 – Log in to a different user account
This is more of a workaround than a solution, but users report that it works. Simply log in to a different Windows 10 account, go to the Windows Store and when asked for login details enter login details for your main account. This will allow you to purchase apps for your account.
Solution 5 – Re-create your user account
To do this, you will need another user account. You can create another account, or use another family member’s account to do this.
- Switch to another account.
- Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Add or remove an account.
- Delete your account but choose to keep the files. We have to warn you that not all of your files will be saved, so you might want to back up your downloads and important files.
- Files from your deleted account should be now stored on the desktop of the current user account.
- Now you need to create your user account again.
- After you’ve created your account, you can copy your saved files, such as your documents.
Solution 6 – Make sure that your Windows Firewall is turned on
Some users report that Windows Store requires Windows Firewall to be running in order for this to work. If you’re using a third-party firewall, remember to turn off Windows Firewall after you’re done.
To enable Windows Firewall, do the following:
- In the Search Bar type firewall and then select Windows Defender Firewall from the list of results.
- In Windows Firewall you’ll have the option to turn on the Windows Firewall. While turning Windows Firewall on you might be asked for your administrator password, or to confirm that you want to turn it on / off.
- After you’re done, make sure that you turn off Windows Firewall to avoid potential conflicts between it and third-party firewall.
Solution 7 – Check for Windows updates
Microsoft is constantly working on Windows 10, and new updates are released relatively frequently. If the Store isn’t allowing app purchase, the problem might be a certain bug or glitch with your system. In most cases, such problems can be resolved with by installing the latest updates.
By default, Windows 10 installs the missing updates manually, but sometimes you might miss an important update due to a bug or an error. Of course, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows Key + I.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Update & Security section.
- Now click on Check for updates button.
Windows 10 will scan for available updates and download them in the background. Once the updates are downloaded, they will be installed as soon as you restart your PC. Several users reported that they fixed the problem by installing the missing updates, so be sure to check if your PC is up to date.
Solution 8 – Disable proxy settings
Many users use proxy in order to protect their privacy online, but sometimes proxy can cause problems with Windows Store. If Windows Store isn’t allowing app purchase on your PC, the problem might be your proxy. To fix this problem, it’s advised to disable your proxy and check if that solves the issue. To disable your proxy, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter internet options. Select Internet Options from the menu.
- Navigate to Connections tab and click on LAN settings.
- Make sure that all options are disabled and click on OK.
After doing that, your proxy will be disabled and you should be able to purchase apps again.
Solution 9 – Change advanced Internet Options
In some cases, this problem can be caused by your Internet Options. Your Internet settings can interfere with Windows Store and prevent app purchase. However, you can easily fix this by doing the following:
- Open Internet Options window by following the instructions from the previous solution.
- When Internet Options window opens, go to Advanced tab and make sure that Do not save encrypted pages to disk option is disabled. Now click on Apply and OK to save changes.
Many users reported that this solution worked for them, so we strongly recommend you to try it out.
Solution 10 – Make sure that all your Windows Store apps are updated
If Windows Store isn’t allowing app purchase, the problem might be app updates. Windows Store is in charge of updating apps, and if your apps are updating in the background, you might not be able to purchase new apps.
This is a strange bug, and in order to fix the problem, you need to wait while all your apps are updated. Once the apps are updated, restart Windows Store and try to purchase apps again.
Solution 11 – Purchase the application from a different device
This is just a workaround, but many users reported that it works, so you might want to try it out. If you can’t purchase an app on your PC, you might want to try logging in to a different PC and buying the application from there. If you have Windows Phone, you can also buy the application on it, and switch to your desktop PC to download it.
This is just a workaround, but several users reported that it works, so you might want to try it out if other solutions didn’t work for you.
That would be all, I hope these solutions helped you with this Windows 10 Store problem. If you have any comments, or questions, just reach for the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Here’s a complete guide to fixing Windows Store error codes
- How to fix Windows Store ‘Error, see details’ alert
- Windows Store needs to be online: 5 ways to fix this error
- Fix: Windows Store Won’t Open in Windows 10
- The Windows Store’s ‘Pardon the interruption’ error: Here are 5 ways to fix it