- Several users have reported the Windows 11 update error 0x800f020b on their PCs.
- This error reportedly pops up when the user tries to update their printers, especially Xerox and HP branded ones.
- You can try the option to stop the Print Spooler service, install the Windows 11 updates manually, or use the show or hide updates method as mentioned in this guide.
Many Windows users have already migrated over to the Windows 11 operating system after the official unveiling of the Windows 11 operating system.
Windows 11 comes with the same base as the Windows 10 OS but brings some nifty features and changes, predominantly on the user interface.
It now has this macOS-ish-centred taskbar console. You can move the taskbar to the right or left, but by default, it will stay in the center.
Even after all these new features and changes, the one thing that remains constant, much like in older Windows versions, is the presence of bugs and errors.
Windows 11 users are not shielded from errors. Several users are experiencing different types of Windows 11 update errors.
In this guide, we will discuss how you can fix Windows 11 update error 0x800f020b. Since it is related to Windows updates, it becomes extremely important to fix this issue as updates are very important for the optimal performance of the OS.
Just like other Windows update errors, this error 0x800f020b pops up without displaying any reason. It occurs when you try to update your PC.
This is where this guide comes into the picture. Because in this post, we will share with you some of the effective solutions that you can apply and possibly fix the Windows update error 0x800f020b.
With that being said, let us jump right into it.
What is Windows 11 update error 0x800f020b?
As already mentioned, similar to other Windows update errors, the update error 0x800f020b doesn’t have any specific reason to pop up.
For some users, this error comes up when trying to normally update their Windows 11 PC. Whereas for others, it shows up when they are trying to update their printers, especially Xerox and HP printers.
But some users have reported that they did not have any printers connected nor any printer software installed on their Windows 11 PC, and still came across this issue.
Well, in this guide, we will discuss the solutions that would help both users with the printer software installed on their PCs and users who are experiencing this problem out of the blue.
How can I fix Windows 11 update error 0x800f020b on my PC?
1. Run the troubleshooter
- Open the Start menu from the Taskbar.
- Type in Troubleshoot other problems and open it.
- Click Run next to Windows update.
- The troubleshooter will begin the diagnosis.
- Apply the recommended fixes.
- Restart your PC.
For issues related to software or Windows updates on your PC, you can rely on the in-built Windows Troubleshooter. It lets you detect the error and also possibly fix it during the process.
It is pretty easy to use, and the above steps explain everything clearly. So, before you go ahead with advanced solutions, it is better to run the Windows Troubleshooter and see if it can resolve the Windows 11 error 0x800f020b.
2. Clear Windows update cache
- Open the Start menu.
- Search for Services and open it.
- Locate Windows Update and double-click on it.
- Click the Stop button to stop Windows Update services.
- Now open Run command by pressing Win + R buttons together on your keyboard.
- Paste the below address path and hit Enter.
- Delete all files inside this folder.
The above steps will help you clear all the cache files related to Windows Update. Because of some corrupt files, it may be conflicting with the Windows update installation. As a result, Windows 11 update error 0x800f020b is displayed.
3. Clear temporary folder
- Press Win + R buttons to open the Run command.
- Type %temp% and hit Enter.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all files.
- Press the Delete button your keyboard or right-click and select Delete.
4. Reconnect external devices
This error code 0x800f020b is mostly associated with printer devices that are externally connected. So, it would be better to troubleshoot the externally connected devices.
We would suggest you disconnect your printers from your Windows 11 PC, wait for some time, and then reconnect them back again.
You can also try restarting your Windows 11 PC before you again try to install Windows updates on your PC. Often, this trick helps fix this error. If this doesn’t help, then hop on to the next solution below.
5. Download Windows 11 update manually
- Head to the official Microsoft Catalogue website.
- Enter the KB (Knowledge Base) number of the Windows update in the search bar, you wish to download and press the Search button.
- You will see a list of available update packages associated with the entered KB number.
- You can get more information such as Installation Resources, Package details, and Languages supported about the update by clicking on the title of the update.
- After idetifying the correct update, hit the Download button.
- Right-click on the download link and hit Save link option.
- Choose the download directory and press Save.
- Open the folder where you have downloaded the Windows 11 package.
- Double-click on it to run.
- After a few seconds, press the Yes button on the Windows Update Standalone Installer pop up to begin installation.
- Restart your PC.
If the in-built Windows Updater is showing you errors even after trying all the above solutions, then you can go ahead and try the option to manually install Windows 11 updates on your PC.
This method not only fixes this error code 0x800f020b but also other Windows update errors that you may come across.
6. Perform a clean boot
- Open the Start menu and search for msconfig.
- Open System Configuration.
- Tap on the Services tab.
- Check the box for Hide all Microsoft services.
- Press the Disable all button.
- Now switch to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager.
- Disable each startup item, one by one.
- Close the Task Manager.
- Press OK on the System Configuration window.
- Restart your PC.
When your PC restarts, you will have a clean boot environment. You can check now if the Windows update is installing with no issues or not.
7. Use Show or hide updates
- Download Show or Hide Updates Troubleshooter (wushowhide.diagcab) from official website.
- Open the troubleshooter.
- Click on Advanced.
- Check the Apply updates automatically option and hit Next.
- Select Hide updates option.
- Now from the list of updates, select the problematic updates that could potentially be the reason for Windows 11 update error 0x800f020b.
- Click on Next.
- Close and try updating your PC.
8. Stop Print Spooler service
- Press Win + R to open the Run command.
- Type the below command and hit Enter.
- Locate Print Spooler service.
- Click on Print Spooler service and select Stop the service option.
- Open Run dialog again.
- Type the below command and press Enter.
- Click on Yes if a prompt asks you for permission.
- Paste the below address in the search bar of the Registry Editor.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Print Processors\winprint
- If you could locate the problematic driver here, rename it to anything else.
- Open back the Services window and restart the Print Spooler service.
- Open the Run dialog again.
- Type the below command and press Enter.
- Select Print Management.
- Under Custom Filters, double-click on All Printer.
- Right-click on the problematic printer and choose the Delete option.
- Try updating your PC and see if this helps.
Why is it necessary to download Windows 11 updates?
In short, you should keep your Windows 11 PC up to date with the latest version of the available update. New updates bring new features and bug fixes that solve various underlying problems with the older version of the driver.
Windows automatically checks for new updated drivers and updates for your copy of the operating system. Moreover, security updates are so important that they keep your PC protected from the latest viruses and malware.
However, there are optional updates that you shouldn’t worry about. As in our case, if the printer drivers are still troubling you, then you can simply disable them as shown in solution 7.
There is no need to install a printer driver to use it. You can use your printer just by attaching the printer’s USB cable to your PC and letting it detect it as an external device.
Let us know in the comments below which of the above-mentioned methods helped you fix the Windows 11 update error 0x800f020b.