How to change Windows 10/8.1 font packs
A great way to customize your Windows 8, Windows 10 computer is to change the default fonts and add custom designs, that you can use in any graphics program, like Art Text. Or course, it won’t change your creations as dramatically as a photo effect or another visual customization, but it will complete the effect you want to achieve and make more flowing.
Even if Windows versions have changed over time, the process of installing custom fonts has remained the same. As you will see here, installing and deleting fonts can be done with great ease by anyone and it doesn’t require much training.
What are Windows font packs and how to change them?
Installing new fonts on Windows 10 and 8 isn’t hard, and in this article we’re going to cover the following topics:
- Fonts folder windows 10 – Fonts folder is located in Control Panel in Windows and it holds all your fonts. You can install new fonts simply by moving them to the Fonts folder.
- How to install fonts Windows 10 – Installing new fonts on Windows 10 is same as on any other version of Windows, and in this article we’ll show you how to install new fonts properly.
- Adding fonts to Windows 10 – Adding new fonts to Windows 10 is relatively simple, and you can do that with just a couple of clicks.
Where to find Windows 8, Windows 10 Fonts?
Finding fonts on the web is very simple. If you are particularly interested in one font, chances are you will find them on one of the many font databases. I’ll give you a few of these awesome websites, where you can download fonts for your Windows 8, Windows 10 computer.
Keep in mind that most of them are free, so be sure to check all of them before you decide to buy a font. Here are some great font databases to help you download fonts:
You can easily find any font simply by entering its name in the search bar. You can also find the desired font simply by using many available filters or by selecting the appropriate font category.
If these websites don’t have the font that you are looking for, then you are in a tough position. Here, you can find thousands of fonts that are compatible with your Windows computer. Also, keep in mind, if you come across font packs, they might be somewhat different than regular fonts. We’ll talk about them in a moment.
Installing Fonts in Windows 10, Windows 8
After you’ve discovered the fonts you like, what you have to do now is to install them. There are a few ways to do this. First of all, if your fonts are archived, you must extract them with any extractor, such as WinRAR or other similar programs.
In almost all cases fonts are distributed in .zip archive, so you can easily open them without using a third-party tool. However, if you want a dedicated tool for archiving, we advise you to check out the list of best archiver tools that we covered recently. To extract a font file, just do the following:
- Locate and open the downloaded archive.
- Locate your font file. You can recognize it by .ttf, .otf, or .fon extension. After doing that, just extract the file to your PC. You can even do that by dragging and dropping the file to the desired location.
- After extracting the font file, simply double click it to open it.
- Now you’ll see some basic information regarding the selected font. In addition, you can preview your font and see how it looks like in different sizes. If you want to install that font, simply click the Install button and the font will be automatically installed.
- READ ALSO: How to fix font size problems in Photoshop
There’s also another way to install fonts. If you don’t want to preview your font, you can install it with just two clicks:
- Make sure that the font file is extracted.
- Now locate the font and right click it.
- Choose Install from the menu.
You can also install a font simply by dragging and dropping it to the Fonts section. Fonts section is located in Control Panel and you can access it by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter fonts. Select Fonts from the list. Alternatively you can just start Control Panel and look for Fonts applet.
- Fonts applet will now appear. Locate the selected font and drag and drop it to the Fonts applet.
After doing that, the font should be automatically installed to your PC. This method doesn’t allow you to preview fonts, but if you need to install more than one font, you can select them all and simply drag them to the Fonts applet to install them.
As we already mentioned, font files are small files that have .ttf, .otf or .fon extension. On the other hand, font packs come as an .exe file that needs to be installed as a regular program. Here are a few examples of font packs for Windows 10, Windows 8:
After you download the files, you will have to check which type they are. If they come as an executable file, just install them the old fashioned way.
Uninstalling Windows 8, Windows 10 Fonts
As you can see, the process of installing fonts is pretty simple, but what if you installed a font that doesn’t work of you just don’t like? The process of uninstalling fonts is just as simple as the installation part.
All you have to do is to navigate to Control Panel and open the Fonts folder. You can delete a font file using two methods:
- Select the font you want to delete and click on Delete option from the menu on the top.
- Locate the font you want to delete, right click it and choose Delete from the menu.
Keep in mind that this action is irreversible, so you won’t be able to restore your font. If you want to restore a deleted font, you’ll have to download and install it again.
Installing new fonts on Windows 10 isn’t that hard, and after following our guide you should be able to install font packs and fonts on your Windows 10 or 8 PC without any problems.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2013 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- How to change system font size in Windows 10 Creators Update
- How to change the default font of the Registry Editor in Windows 10
- MacType brings MacOS fonts to your Windows 10 device
- How to Fix Font Bugs in Windows 10
- How to Fix Font Rendering Problems in Windows 10
Twitter is the social media platform used for distributing short messages across the world. A platform that allows us to tweet whatever we wish, be […]
MS Office 2013 users can utilize templates for preformatted documents. However, some Office users have said that a Something went wrong while downloading your template […]
The new Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) product and strategy announced last year in September is here. Well, the Redmond giant planned to offer an early […]