FIX: Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme
Some users have stated that a Save a Theme error message pops up on their Windows desktops. The full error message states: Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme. Do you still want to save the theme? That error message pops up randomly and is due to missing theme files and elements. These are a few resolutions for the Save a Theme error.
SOLVED: “Save a theme” error on Windows 10
- Change the Theme
- Delete the Theme and Reinstall it Again
- Switch the Theme Background Setting to Picture
- Switch Off the Theme Sync Setting
1. Change the Theme
First, try switching to another theme to see if that fixes the error message. To change the theme in Windows 10, right-click the desktop and select the Personalization option. Then select Themes on the left of the window, and select an alternative theme from there. Alternatively, you can click Get more themes in Microsoft Store to download a new theme and then add that one to the desktop. This page provides further details for some of the best Windows 10 themes.
2. Delete the Theme and Reinstall it Again
If you prefer to retain your current theme, try deleting and reinstalling it instead. Downloading the theme again should ensure there are no missing elements. This is how you can reinstall a theme in Windows 10.
- Right-click the Windows 10 desktop to select Personalization and open the Settings window.
- Click Themes on the left of the Settings window.
- You can’t delete the active (currently selected) theme. Thus, you’ll need to select an alternative theme first; and then right-click the theme you need to reinstall and select Delete.
- If you got your theme from the Microsoft MS Store site, click Get more themes in Microsoft Store. Then search for your theme there, select it and click Get.
- Click Launch to add the theme to the theme menu on the Settings window. Then you can select to apply the theme from there.
- If your deleted theme came from another website, open the site you originally got it from to download it again. This post provides further details for installing third-party themes in Windows 10.
3. Switch the Theme Background Setting to Picture
If the theme is a slideshow, and most are, switching it to one background might fix the Save a Theme error. To do that, right-click the desktop and select Personalization > Background to open the options shown directly below. Then select Picture on the Background drop-down menu, and click the Browse button to select a wallpaper.
4. Switch Off the Theme Sync Setting
Windows 10 includes a Theme sync setting that’s selected by default for those signed in with Microsoft accounts. That option synchronizes (or matches) the desktop theme across all the Windows 10 devices a user might utilize with the same Microsoft account. Users have confirmed that switching the Theme sync option off fixes the Save a Theme error. You can toggle that setting off as follows.
- Press the Type here to search taskbar button to open the Cortana app.
- Enter the keyword ‘sync’ in Cortana’s search box.
- Then you can select Sync your settings to open the window shown below.
- Toggle the Theme setting there off.
- Alternatively, you can toggle Sync settings off to turn off all the synchronization.
- Then restart Windows 10.
Some users have also confirmed that toggling the sync option off and then back on can also fix the issue. As such, you might not need to leave syncing off. So you can try toggling the theme syncing back on after restarting Windows to keep the device synchronization.
Those resolutions will probably fix the Save a Theme error message in Windows 10. Do you have another fix for the Save a Theme error? If so, feel free to share it below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- You can now manage your Windows 10 themes in the Settings app
- Download Windows 10 themes from the Windows store: How to
- Install third-party Windows 10, 8.1 themes with Uxtheme Multi-Patcher
Windows 10 is an amazing operating system with many features and great versatility. No matter what peripherals are you trying to connect to it, even […]
The Sync function offered by the Windows Media Player allows the users to sync their favorite tracks between the PC and the smartphone. Sometimes, the […]