If you are using a Lenovo computer then you may encounter the Windows error 0199 security password retry count exceeded error when trying to start the system. As the error indicates it is most likely to occur if the user has typed the security password incorrectly.
If you remember the SVP password, you can easily recover the system and get rid of the error. However, if the user has forgotten the password, the recovery process can be tedious and the user may require to change the system board.
If you are also troubled by this error, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the Windows error 0199 security password retry count exceeded on your Lenovo system.
How do I fix the Windows error 0199?
1. Restore default BIOS settings
- Press the Setup key when the computer starts to boot.
- The setup key in most cases for Lenovo computer is F1. However, refer to the user manual if the F1 key doesn’t work.
- Enter the SVP key when protemted.
- From the BIOS menu, press F9 to restore the default settings.
- When the Load default configuration now prompt appears, select Yes.
- Once the default configuration is loaded, press F10 to save the changes.
- Exit BIOS.
- Reboot the computer. This should resolve the error and your computer will restart normally without any issues.
Loading the default configuration in BIOS can help you resolve the Windows error 0199 security password retry count exceeded. However, for this to work you must know the SVP security key.
2. Remove and reinsert the CMOS battery
- Shut down your computer completely.
- Make sure you remove all the cords including the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Open the case and look for CMOS battery connected to your motherboard.
- Leave the motherboard idle for a few minutes.
- Insert the CMOS battery.
- Connect the power cord and other cables to your computer.
- Restart the computer and check if the error is resolved.
3. Perform a manual BIOSreset
- If the issue persists, try performing a manual BIOS reset.
- Shut down the computer completely by removing the power cord and disconnecting other cables.
- Next, access the motherboard.
- Locate the BIOS configuration jumper button on the motherboard.
- Move the jumper from pins 1, 2 and 3.
- Wait for 20 seconds and then move the jumper back to its original position.
- Reassemble your computer and restart the system.
- Your system should boot normally without the 0199 security password retry count exceeded error.
The Windows error 0199 security password retry count exceeded error can be easily fixed by resetting the default BIOS configuration.
However, if you have forgotten the SVP password, you may have to remove the CMOS battery to reset the configuration or manually reset BIOS by using the jumper.
FAQ: Learn more about the SVP password, and passwords in general
- What is a SVP password?
SVP stands for Supervisor Password.
- How can I password protect my PC using passwords?
Besides the SVP password, you also have BIOS passwords and Windows Account passwords.
- Can I use third-party tools to password protect my PC?
Yes, there are plenty of third-party password-protection tools that you can buy or try.