- Windows Hello isn’t available on this device is a common error linked with issues regarding the Windows sign-in biometric method.
- This feature is extremely helpful so check our solutions in this guide to fix the problem.
- For more help with other Windows problems reach out for our Windows 10 Hub.
- Our Tech Troubleshooting section is the right place to find solutions to your computer problems.
Windows Hello isn’t available on this device is a common error issued by the Windows 10 system. Many users are currently reporting this malfunction, so that’s why in this tutorial we will be trying to find an easy fix.
As you will see, there are several solutions that can be applied in this case and, as usual, everything is explained and detailed in our dedicated guidelines.
Windows Hello is a great feature that can be used on Windows 10 computers, tablets , or notebooks and you can even use it in Safe Mode.
However, it can be set up only on certain devices depending on the hardware configuration – Windows Hello introduces a security / log-in alternative to the classic password/pin code sequence.
Shortly, with Windows Hello enabled and properly working you can log in into your Windows 10 system with the help of your fingerprint scanner, or with the iris scanner.
Of course, your computer must feature a webcam along with iris scanner functionality, or the fingerprint scanner functionality.
Additionally, if you already installed Windows 10, you can use the Windows Hello feature to apps and websites – so, you can complete different sign-in processes easily regardless of what websites you are trying to access.
What can I do if Windows Hello isn’t available on this device?
1. Update the drivers
- Press the Win+X keyboard keys and click on Device Manager from the displayed list.
- Click on Scan for hardware changes.
- Expand the Biometric devices section.
- Click on Update.
- Alternatively, you can choose Roll back in order to use a previous build of the driver and see if that works.
- You can also try to delete the driver and install it again.
Automatically update drivers
Installing the drivers manually involves a risk to damage your system by downloading and installing the wrong driver version. Thus, we recommend updating your drivers automatically with a dedicated tool.
We strongly recommend DriverFix, as it is currently the best tool for this task. Here’s how you can update your drivers very easy:
This solution is so simple that it almost looks too good to be true but it worked for so many users that it would be a shame not to try it.
DriverFixYou can update your Windows 10 drivers with just two clicks using this amazing tool. DriverFix also repairs any malfunctioning drivers!
2. Make sure your device is running the latest Windows updates
- Press the Win+I keyboard keys in order to bring Windows System Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Click on the Check for updates option.
- Well, initiate this scan operation and if you are prompted with any updates, apply them.
- Reboot your computer and verify if the Windows Hello feature was restored.
3. Enable the Allow the use of biometric option
- Press the Win+R keyboard keys and in the Run window type gpedit.msc; press OK when done.
- From the Local Group Policy Editor you need to navigate towards Computer Configuration, then go to Administrative Templates and Windows Components (complete this step through the left field of the main window).
- Look for the Allow the use of biometrics feature located on the right side of the main pane.
- Double-click on the option.
- Select Enabled and then click OK and Apply.
- Reboot your Windows 10 system.
We hope that everything works as it should now. Those were the solutions that can be applied when you deal with the Windows Hello isn’t available on this device error.
You can tell us how the troubleshooting process worked by using the Comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.