Windows Server is widely used by many users across the world as it ensures safe and fast networking and sharing of services, data, and applications among multiple users. Its well-equipped interface is the reason for its widespread usage. If your version of Windows Server asks for activation, this is what you need to do to properly and permanently activate it.
How To Activate Windows Server
1. Activating Windows Server with KMS Client Key
To activate your Windows Server easily, you can manually install KMS Client Key for your version of Windows Server.
- First, you need to look for the KMS Client Key that is available on Microsoft’s website for your version of Windows Server. Go to Microsoft’s website to find the specific KMS key for the version you wish to activate.
- After finding out the appropriate key for your WS, write it somewhere in Notepad.
- Open Command Prompt (Admin) by Right-Clicking on the Windows Icon located in the left corner of the taskbar.
- Command Prompt will show you a black screen; type slmgr /ipk Client Key in the command windo. Hit Enter.
- Type slmgr /skms kms8.ms.com in the window and press Enter.
- In the end, type /ato in the window and press Enter.
2. Resetting The Activation Timer
Even though KMS Client Keys are available for almost all the latest versions of Windows Server, there are some exceptions. If you don’t find KMS Client Key for your version of Windows Server, you should not worry about it. Resetting the activation timer is another way to fix the activation issue. Follow these steps to reset your Windows activation timer and start using Windows Server as if you have just installed it.
- Firstly, launch Command Prompt (Admin) by Right-Clicking on the Windows Icon located in the left corner of the taskbar.
- Check whether you have spelled the command correctly or not.
- Press Enter.
- You will be asked to perform a restart; do it right away.
- Your Windows activation timer is reset.
- USEFUL INFORMATION: Best backup software for Windows servers
3. Activating Windows Server with MAK
MAK or Multiple Activation Key is another method to activate your Windows Server. You can also use the MAK key and activate your WS. Follow these steps to learn how to get MAK key and its usage.
- MAK keys can be found on Microsoft’s website.
- Launch Command Prompt (Admin) by Right-Clicking on the Windows Icon located in the left corner of the taskbar.
- Type vbs /ipk MAKProductKey; press Enter.
- Now, type vbs /ato; press Enter.
- Windows Server will activate.
There you have three quick methods to permanently activate Windows Server.