- Windows Server backup software is a must-have security measure for businesses to protect their data.
- In this article, we handpicked the best server backup software to run on your Windows Server environment.
- Most of them have a free trial, so make sure to explore all options before choosing one.
- We've also included several free entries, so try those too as well.
Windows Server backup software isn’t the same as for Windows. If you use Windows Server 2019, 2016, 2012 R2, 2012, 2008 R2 or 2008, you should find backup tools that aren’t only compatible but also powerful.
Everything a Windows user does is based on one simple concept: input of data. The single next important thing to do for him/her would be to ensure their data remains with them in case of any technology fails.
With a backup software solution for Windows Server, even the biggest gamers wouldn’t have to worry about losing their highest scores to an unexpected occurrence.
Many companies and organizations will get data loss prevention software and leave it at that. However, this does not address the issue of recovery say if server data were to disappear.
Here’s the best backup software for Windows Server
- Acronis Cyber Backup
- AOMEI Backupper Server
- Paragon Backup & Recovery Business
- NovaBACKUP for Servers
- Windows Server Backup
How to backup computers with Windows Server
Acronis Cyber Backup is the best Windows Server backup software for your business. It’s like an edition of Acronis True Image but made for Windows Server.
Cyber Backup runs full backups on your Windows Server environment and recovers the complete entire system or just specific files and programs.
Here are the Acronis Cyber Backup key features:
- Work with any Windows Server: virtual, physical, cloud.
- Save your backups anywhere: NAS, SAN, tapes, disks, Acronis Cloud, Azure, AWS, Google.
- Recover the data you need: full system, drives, Microsoft application data, urgent files and folders.
- Scalable backup solution: manage Windows Server environments from a centralized web UI.
- Back up data in use: capture the current server state using Volume Shadow Copy (VSS).
Acronis Cyber Backup is a subscription-based backup solution and includes a 30-days free trial.
Paragon Backup & Recovery Business is ideal Windows Server backup software for small and mid-sized companies. It’s the server edition of Paragon Backup & Recovery.
Here are the key features of Paragon Backup & Recovery Business:
- Comprehensive backup solution: supports physical and logical media, together with virtual containers.
- Flexible restore options: full disks or partitions, specific files, folders, and applications.
- Windows Server recovery: create a bootable environment and fix boot errors.
- Backup management tools: secure your Windows Server environment and automate administrative tasks.
- Optimized for performance: integrated end-to-end security, low impact on the system and network.
AOMEI Backupper Server is excellent Windows Server backup software. It’s the server equivalent of AOMEI Backupper for Windows.
Here are the key features of AOMEI Backupper Server:
- Complete backup solution: entire system, disks and partitions, files, incremental and differential backups.
- Versatile backup locations: local disk, external drive, CDs and DVDs, NAS, cloud drive.
- Hot backup: create backups without interrupting current applications or turning off Windows Server.
- Restore and clone: recover the entire system or specific files, duplicate backups.
- Extra utilities: create a bootable recovery environment, compress, split or encrypt backups.
NovaBACKUP for Servers is exemplary Windows Server backup software for offices and small businesses. It comes equipped with a bunch of practical features for creating and managing backups.
Here are the key features of NovaBACKUP for Servers:
- Cloud storage: protect your Windows Server environment from ransomware using cloud storage.
- Automatic backups: schedule server backups to run automatically in full or incremental mode.
- Fast and easy data restore: recover the entire server system from the backup to any Hyper-V environment.
- Disaster recovery scenario: follow the 3-2-1 backup rule to save your server in case of disaster.
Windows Server Backup is the default Windows Server backup software solution that we simply can’t overlook. Introduced in 1997, the backup solution has been integrated with all Windows Server editions.
Unfortunately, the latest version of Windows Server Backup doesn’t support tape drives. As such, you must use third-party apps to save to tape on recent OS. When all’s said and done, customers need not look further than their OS to handle their back up concerns.
Here are the key features of Windows Server Backup:
- Built into Windows Server: comes ready with your server environment, so you don’t have to install anything.
- Full compatibility: works with all Windows Server editions, no extra configuration steps required.
- Automated backup solution: instruct the tool to automatically back up and recover your server system.
- Volume Shadow Copy: copies currently used files and applications without any issues.
- Multiple backups modes: differential, incremental, normal, and daily backups.
Despite Microsoft’s best efforts to ensure server data protection, some environments are simply too different and complicated for its inbuilt software. In that case, you can resort to the trustworthy Windows Server backup software solutions, like the ones on this list.
Client files and other valuable documents stored on servers are just too valuable to leave unguarded. Try the above tools and ensure your business security with a fast and uncomplicated backup and recovery experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
To backup Windows Server computers using the built-in feature provided by Microsoft, follow our easy guide. But we strongly recommend checking out the third-party backup tools above, which are tailor-made for Windows Server.
Yes, you should install security software on Windows Server 2012 as well as other Server editions. Check out these antivirus tools for Windows Server.
No, Google Backup and Sync doesn’t run on Windows Server. It runs on Windows and Mac (Linux isn’t supported either).