Are you experiencing Windows was unable to complete the format with your CD-RW disc? CD-RW is an advanced form of CD, which is designed in such a way that it can be read, erased, written and rewritten.
At times, formatting CD-RW may be necessary, especially in the event of corruption, which prevents the CD-RW from loading properly. In this case, formatting such CD-RW might be the ultimate solution. However, what happens if your PC could not complete the formatting process? We’ll be providing you with several quick fixes in this article.
How to fix Windows was unable to complete the format CD RW error?
In the event that Windows was unable to complete the formatting of CD-RW, there could be several factors in play. However, before attempting any fix, it is important to know how to execute a proper formatting process. And we’ll be showing you how to do this in the next section of the article.
1. Format CD-RW
Follow the step-by-step guidelines below to completely format a faulty, corrupted or congested CD-RW:
Note: Ensure your CD drive is compatible with CD-RW
- Slot the faulty CD-RW in your PC’s CD drive.
- Click on the Start.
- Locate and open Windows Explorer.
- Locate and open This PC.
- Navigate to the CD-RW removable drive and click on it.
- Locate and click on the Manage.
- Click on Toolbar beneath the Manage.
- Locate and select Format to open the format window.
- On the window, click on the File System drop-down.
- Select a disk format system; preferably UDF 2.01, UDF 2.50 or UDF 2.60 (for Windows 7 and newer versions)
- Click on the Start option at the bottom of the format window.
- Click OK again on the pop up window to complete the format process.
By following the above procedure, as outlined, you would be able to format CD-RW completely, without any form of hitch, provided there is no form of system error or corruption.
However, if you are still getting the Windows was unable to complete the format error, you can attempt the next method outlined below.
2. Format CD-RW using Disk Management
In fixing the Windows was unable to complete the format error, the first point of action is to run the Windows Disk Management tool. To use this tool, follow the guidelines below:
- Insert the CD-RW in your PC’s DVD/CD drive.
- Open Control Panel.
- Select Administrative Tools.
- Under Administrative Tools, click on Computer Management.
- On the displayed options, locate and select Disk Management. This will launch the Windows Disk Management tool.
- Locate the removable storage medium (CD-RW) you want to format.
- Right-click on it and select Format.
- In case you have partitions on the disk drive, delete them before running the format.
By following the above-outlined steps, the CD-RW should now be completely formatted.
If the error persists, you can try the next fix.
3. Erase CD-RW
If the Windows was unable to complete the format error is still there, you can try to fix it using the Erase this disc option. This will wipe off the CD-RW completely.
To erase CD-RW, follow the steps below:
- Insert the CD-RW (rewritable) disc into your system’s disk drive.
- Open File Explorer.
- On the Explorer’s window, click on the CD-RW icon.
- Navigate to the toolbar, and locate Erase this disc.
- Follow the on-screen commands to complete the format process.
This action will clear off all the files on the CD-RW, thereby providing you with a clean/blank rewritable disk. To be on the safe side, it is recommended you back up important files on the disc before running the format/erase process.
The Windows was unable to complete the format error occurs due to a number of reasons, ranging from file corruption to disc damage. In any case, we hope that our solutions were helpful to you.