Xbox download error 0x87e00005 can appear when installing certain Xbox One games. Although this error can be problematic, there’s a way to fix it, and today we’re going to show you how to do it.
Here’s how one user describes the issue on Microsoft Answers forums:
I can’t download/install any games on my xbox one, it shows downloading then after about 5min shows error 0x87E00005.
How can I fix Xbox download error 0x87e00005?
1. Move the game to the external drive
Note: This solution works only when installing a game from a disc.
- Go to the Games and apps and select the game that is giving you this error.
- Press the Menu button and choose Manage game.
- Now select Move and choose your hard drive.
- Check if the problem is resolved.
2. Check your router
- Make sure that Xbox is allowed to access the Internet.
- If possible, try using wired instead of wireless connection.
- Check your router and its security policies and make sure that nothing is blocking Xbox from accessing the Internet.
- Try restarting and/or resetting your router to the default.
- Try a different Internet connection and check if that helps. If the Internet connection is the problem, contact your ISP.
3. Change the DNS on your Xbox One
- Navigate to the Settings > Network > Advanced settings.
- Choose DNS settings > Manual.
- Now set the following options:
- Primary DNS: 22.214.171.124
- Secondary DNS: 126.96.36.199
- After doing that, save changes and try to download the game again.
4. Power cycle your console
- Turn your Xbox One off by pressing and holding the Power button on your console for 10 seconds.
- After your console shuts down, disconnect it from the power outlet.
- Wait for a minute or two and connect all the cables. Press the Power button to start the console.
There you go, four simple and easy solutions that might help you fix Xbox error 0x87e00005. Several users reported that changing the DNS fixed the problem for them instantly, so we suggest trying that first.
If you found our solutions helpful, feel free to let us know by leaving a comment below.
- Installation stopped Xbox One error [STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE]
- This is how you can fix Xbox error 0x87de0017 in 3 simple steps
- Xbox Game Bar records a frozen screen in full screen game