Fix: Xbox One “Kinect is unplugged” error
Kinect is an Xbox One accessory that allows you to play certain games without a controller by using motion detection technology. Although regular controller might be the best choice for gamers, some users prefer using Kinect once in awhile. Unfortunately, few users reported Kinect is unplugged error on their Xbox One, and today we’re going to show you how to fix it.
Xbox One “Kinect is unplugged” error, how to fix it?
Fix – Xbox One error “Kinect is unplugged”
Solution 1 – Check if Kinect is connected to your console
This error usually occurs if your Kinect isn’t firmly connected to your Xbox One, therefore be sure to check if Kinect is firmly connected to the port on the back of the console. If Kinect is connected to your device, unplug its cable and wait for 10 seconds or more. After that, connect it again and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 2 – Restart your console
Sometimes reconnecting Kinect to your console doesn’t solve this issue, and in order to fix that problem you need to restart your console. Restarting your console will delete temporary files and hopefully fix this error. To restart your Xbox One, follow these steps:
- Open the Guide by scrolling left on the Home screen. Alternatively, you can double tap the Xbox button on the controller to open the Guide.
- Choose Settings.
- Now select Restart console and choose Yes to confirm.
You can also restart your console by using the power button on the console itself. To do that press and hold the Xbox button on your console until it turns off. After the console turns off, wait for a few seconds and turn it on by pressing the power button. Some users are suggesting to disconnect the power cable from your Xbox One once you turn it off and wait for 10 seconds or more until the power supply resets. After that, turn on your Xbox One and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 3 – Check if Kinect is turned on
You can turn on Kinect from the Settings menu, but if Kinect isn’t properly turned on you’ll encounter Kinect is unplugged error message. To fix this problem you need to enable Kinect from Settings screen by doing the following:
- Scroll left on the Home screen in order to open the Guide.
- Choose Settings > All Settings.
- Now select Kinect & devices.
- Select Kinect.
- Check if Kinect on option is selected. If not, select it to turn on Kinect.
Solution 4 – Restart Kinect and your console
Sometimes in order to fix this problem with Kinect and Xbox One you need to completely shut down both your console and Kinect. To do that, follow these simple steps:
- Press and hold the power button on your console for 10 seconds to completely turn it off.
- After your console shuts down, unplug the power cable.
- Now unplug Kinect from the console.
- Wait for a few seconds and connect the power cable back with your console and press the power button to turn it on.
- After your console starts, scroll left on the Home screen to open the Guide.
- Go to Settings > All Settings.
- Choose Kinect & devices > Kinect.
- Connect your Kinect sensor to your console and wait until the console recognizes it. Be sure to connect Kinect to the first USB port next to HDMI port. By using any other USB port your Kinect might not be recognized.
Keep in mind that your Kinect might require an update, and you can download the necessary updates automatically simply by visiting Xbox Live on your console.
Solution 5 – Unplug all cables from your Xbox One
According to users, you can fix Kinect is unplugged error on your Xbox One simply by turning off your console and unplugging the power cord. Unfortunately, this solution doesn’t always work, but users reported that you can fix the problem by turning off your console and unplugging all cables from it. After doing that, leave your console unplugged for a few minutes before reconnecting all cables. After that, turn on your console and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 6 – Connect Kinect directly to the power socket
If you’re having Kinect is unplugged error message, you might want to consider connecting your Kinect directly to the power socket. Users reported that this error occurs only if their Kinect is connected to power splitter, but after connecting it to the power socket the issue was resolved and Kinect started working without problems.
Solution 7 – Perform factory reset
In order to get the latest features Xbox One frequently downloads updates from Xbox Live. Unfortunately, some of these updates can cause issues with Kinect, and in order to fix these issues you need to factory reset your Xbox One. By resetting your console to factory settings you’ll delete the installed updates along with your installed games and apps. If you decide to perform a factory reset, we strongly suggest that you back up installed games and apps to an external hard drive. To perform a factory reset, do the following:
- Open the Guide by scrolling left on the Home screen.
- Choose Settings > All Settings.
- Select System > Console info & updates.
- Select Reset console.
- You’ll see two options available: Reset and remove everything and Reset and keep my games & apps. Select the latter in order to reset your console without removing any installed games and apps. If this option doesn’t work, you’ll have to use Reset and remove everything option. By using this option you’ll delete all files from your console, therefore be sure to back up installed apps and games.
- After the reset process is completed, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 8 – Ask for a replacement
If the problem still appears on your Xbox One, it might be because your Kinect is faulty. If your device is still under warranty be sure to ask for a replacement. Many users reported that the issue was resolved completely after replacing the device, so you might want to try that.
Xbox One Kinect is unplugged error will stop you from playing Kinect games on your Xbox One, but we hope that you managed to fix this problem by using one of our solutions.
- Kinect sensor could help with self-driving cars in the future
- Fix: “Disconnected from server” Xbox One error
- Fix: Xbox One “Something went wrong” error
- Fix: Xbox error NW-2-5
- Fix: “For this game you need to be online” Xbox error
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]
No matter if you run a business or not, if you want store data, QNAP (Quality Network Appliance Provider) Systems is probably the answer you […]
We have all sorts of applications on our PC, but sometimes certain apps can become grayed out and unable to remove. This can be a […]