Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Some users have discussed a 0xc0000006 error on software support forums. That error arises when users try to launch some of their software.
The error message can have an error message that states: The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000006. That’s a STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR which can often arise for users trying to run software from network volumes. If you need to resolve that error, check out these potential fixes.
This is how you can fix the 0xc0000006 error
1. Clean boot Windows
- The 0xc0000006 error can be due to conflicting third-party software, such as antivirus utilities. To clean boot Windows without any conflicting startup software, press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Enter MSConfig in Run’s text box and click OK to open the window in the image directly below.
- Click the Selective startup items option.
- Deselect the Load startup items checkbox.
- Select the Load system services and Use original boot configuration checkboxes.
- On the Services tab, select the Hide all Microsoft services option.
- Click Disable all to deselect all third-party services.
- Select the Apply option.
- Press the OK button to exit the window.
- Click the Restart option on the dialog box that opens.
2. Uninstall third-party antivirus software
If clean booting Windows does fix the issue, you’ll need to figure out what third-party program or service is conflicting with the software error 0xc0000006 arises for. It might be the case that your antivirus utility was the conflicting software. So, try uninstalling that antivirus utility and then restore your original boot configuration.
You can do that by entering appwiz.cpl in Run to open Programs and Features. Then select to uninstall the third-party antivirus utility from that Control Panel applet. Thereafter, restore your original boot configuration with MSConfig; and restart the desktop or laptop.
3. Run a system file scan
- Some users have confirmed a System File Checker scan can fix error 0xc0000006. To initiate an SFC scan, press the Windows key + S keyboard shortcut.
- Input cmd in the search box to find Command Prompt.
- To open an elevated Command Prompt, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth in Command Prompt, and press the Return keyboard key.
- After that, enter sfc /scannow and press Return to initiate the system file scan.
- If that scan repairs some files, restart the desktop or laptop.
4. Edit the registry
- Editing the Windows registry key might also fix the 0xc0000006 error for some users. To do so, open Run’s window.
- Enter regedit in the Open box, which will open the Registry Editor when you click OK. Open this registry key path: Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > WOW6432Node > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Windows.
- Select the Windows registry key.
- Double-click Applnit_DLL on the right section of the Registry editor.
- Erase the number in the Edit String window, and click the OK button.
- Exit the Registry Editor, and restart Windows.
So, give some of those potential fixes for error 0xc0000006 a try. As a last resort, you could try reinstalling Windows with a repair install to reset the platform’s components.
If you can’t set up the installation media for a repair install, resetting Windows is an alternative method.