- Several users have reported encountering 0xc00007b error in Windows 11 when launching an application.
- The error box doesn't divulge the underlying cause which makes it all the more difficult to troubleshoot it.
- To fix the error, try updating the OS, running the program as an administrator, or reinstalling the .NET Framework 3.5, amongst the other methods listed here.
A lot of errors that were a part of the earlier iterations have made their way to Windows 11. One such is the 0xc00007b error in Windows 11, which is encountered when you try to launch an application.
The message accompanying the error reads The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b). Click OK to close the application. in Windows 11. And honestly, it doesn’t offer much on the underlying cause or the course of action for effective troubleshooting.
Therefore, we decided to dedicate this article in order to list out the most effective fixes for this particular error, help you eliminate it, and use your favorite applications without any issue.
How can I fix the 0xc00007b error code in Windows 11?
1. Restart the computer
- Navigate to the desktop, press Alt + F4 to launch the Shut Down Windows box, and select Restart from the dropdown menu.
- Now, click OK to restart the computer.
Most errors in Windows 11, including 0xc00007b, can be fixed by a simple restart, if there’s a trivial issue behind it. When you restart the computer, the OS is rebooted and any problems with it are automatically removed.
2. Update Windows 11
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app, and select Windows Update from the tabs listed in the navigation pane on the left.
- Now, click on the Check for updates button on the right.
- If any available updates are listed after the scan, click on Download & install to get them on your computer.
3. Use a dedicated third-party tool
Rather than following a manual approach to eliminate the 0xc00007b error in Windows 11, you can use a reliable third-party tool. We recommend Restoro, one of the best repair tools that you will find online.
It will look for problems with the PC and eliminate them automatically. This includes issues launching a third-party app, in case critical DLL files are missing or there are damaged Windows files.
Apart from that, Restoro will scan for malware and viruses, eliminate them, and repair the damage caused in the meantime.
4. Launch application with administrative privilege
- Navigate to the folder where the problematic application’s launcher (.exe) is stored, right-click on it, and select Properties from the context menu.
- Now, navigate to the Compatibility tab from the top.
- Select the checkbox for Run this program as an administrator and click on OK at the bottom to save the changes.
Certain apps require administrative privileges, and in the absence of which, they can start throwing errors. After setting the app to launch as administrator from now on, check if the 0xc00007b error in Windows 11 is fixed.
5. Install .Net Framework
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run command, enter optionalfeatures in the text field, and either click on OK or hit Enter to launch Windows Features.
- Now, tick the checkbox for .NET Framework 3.5 and click on OK at the bottom to enable the feature.
- Wait for Windows to install the necessary files, and once done, verify if the error is eliminated.
6. Reinstall Microsoft C++ Redistributables
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run menu, enter appwiz.cpl in the text field, and then either click on OK or hit Enter to launch the Programs and Features window.
- Now, locate the Microsoft C++ Redistributable entry, select it, and then click on Uninstall.
- Click Yes in the confirmation prompt that pops up.
- Next, click Yes in the UAC (User Account Control) prompt that appears.
- Similarly, uninstall the other Microsoft C++ Redistributable entries here.
- Once done, go to the official Microsoft website, and download all the Microsoft C++ Redistributables that you uninstalled earlier.
- After downloading these, double-click on the file to launch the installer, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
The C++ Redistributable installs the critical files required by applications to function, and if these are outdated or corrupt, you are likely to encounter 0xc00007b error in Windows 11. If the error persists after reinstalling these, head to the last method.
7. Reinstall the problematic app(s)
- Press Windows + I to launch Settings, and select the Apps tab from the navigation pane on the left.
- Click on Apps & features on the right.
- Locate the problematic app, click on the ellipsis next to it, and select Uninstall from the menu.
- Again, click Uninstall in the confirmation prompt.
- Restart the computer, and then reinstall the app as you did before.
If nothing else works, the problem likely lies with the program itself, and the best solution here is to uninstall the app, and then re-install it.
But, make sure that you go with this method as the last resort, since the ones before it have been found the fix the 0xc00007b error for most users in Windows 11.
That’s it! By the time you reach this part of the article, the error should be long gone. And, you can use your favorite apps without facing any issues.
Also, find out what to do if the applications won’t open in Windows 11. This error can be caused due to several reasons, and troubleshooting it is a tad more difficult, so you will have to follow a systematic approach.
Tell us which fix worked for you in the comments section below.