- The message Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000005 can appear when trying to launch an application.
- A quick fix for this issue is to uninstall and reinstall the problematic app.
- Removing the malware from your system can also restore things to normal.
- Another good solution to this problem is ensuring your OS is up to date.
Computers are designed to be smart devices more efficient than humans. For the most part, they are. But when they crank up and start reporting errors, things get really messy. The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc00005) error is one of these.
The error creeps when you try to run an application on an affected Windows PC. And it seems all applications are susceptible. The error message is simple, and even appears innocuous. But it has serious repercussions.
Some of the applications you can encounter the error with are:
- Excel The application was unable to start correctly 0xc00005
- VLC The application was unable to start correctly 0xc00005
- Google Chrome The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000005
Another unsettling thing about this error is uninstalling and reinstalling the software, which generated the error message, does not solve the problem. If you are pulling your hair out agonizing about how to get your PC working again, I have good news for you: the error can be fixed.
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00005) error in Windows 10 is unsettling, but we have plenty of solutions to fix it.
What is 0xc00005 error?
The error basically signals the computer’s inability to process the files and settings which are required to run the specific program throwing the error. And this could be due to several reasons.
The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005) may arise because the DLL (Dynamic Link Library), which supports the running of the software, is incomplete, not signed, or corrupted. DLL files are used by Windows programs to perform various functions on the system.
Overwriting of DLL files, their deletion, faulty or incompatible hardware (RAM, HDD), corrupt registry, and malware infestations can cause a plethora of issues. Also, malware infestation in the Windows registry can corrupt or completely replace DLL files.
How do I fix The application was unable to start correctly 0xc00005?
1. Delete SPAM
Unsolicited junk mail, commonly known as spam, should be deleted from your computer soon as you receive it. SPAM may have viruses, malware, or a trojan horse embedded, which will slow down your computer.
More seriously, the malware can multiply and install itself in the background, spying and stealing your passwords, browsing history, and keyboard usage data. It can even monitor and control your computer’s camera and microphone.
To block junk emails from landing in your inbox in the first place, install an antivirus software with anti-spam protection. With an extremely powerful security engine, it will find any virus/malware infiltrated into your system and will optimize your PC’s performance.
2. Remove malware with anti-malware software
Malware is annoying and harmful software that secretly accesses your Windows computer or device, without your knowledge, of course.
It is getting more sophisticated by the day and now comes in many forms. And those responsible for it have even more nefarious motivations for their reign of terror than before.
Types of malware include viruses, spyware, adware, phishing, trojan horses, worms, rootkits, ransomware, and browser hijackers. Scanning and removal of malware, spyware, and adware should be done at least once a week just to stay on the safe side.
Whether you want to prevent a malware infection or remove it from your system, we strongly recommend the security solution below. It is very light on your system, offers very strong online and data protection, and will not interfere with your system or software.
ESET Internet SecurityThe ESET solution not only will help you remove any malware from your PC, but it will also ensure perfect online protection.
3. Activate Windows Firewall
- Press Windows + S to open the Search menu, enter Control Panel in the text field, and click on the relevant search result.
- Next, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left.
- Select Turn on Windows Defender Firewall under both Private network settings and Public network settings, and then click on OK to save the changes.
The Windows Firewall can help prevent hackers or malware from gaining access to your computer through the Internet or a network. In case the process doesn’t go through, find out what to do if you can’t enable Windows Defender.
Once done, verify if The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc00005) error is fixed. In case it persists, head to the next solution.
4. Update Windows OS
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings app and select Windows Update from the left.
- Click on the Check for updates button.
- The system will find any possible updates for your system and install them.
- Make sure you also install the optional updates and restart your system for the settings to take effect.
Make sure that Windows is up-to-date. Connect your computer to the Internet at least once every day and avoid working offline for long periods.
Follow all the instructions when a Security Issue or Critical Update issued by Microsoft automatically downloads and installs on your computer.
Once done with the update process, verify if The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc00005) error is eliminated for the affected program.
5. Use System Restore
- Press Windows + S, type create a restore point, and then click on the relevant search result.
- Next, click on the System Restore button.
- Select Choose a different restore point and click on Next.
- If available, check the box with Show more restore points, select the desired one, and click on Next.
- Verify the restore details and click on Finish to complete the process.
You can use Windows Recovery to restore the computer to a point earlier in time before The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc00005) error was first encountered.
Or, if you choose to, replace everything on your computer by resetting Windows to its factory settings. and reinstall Windows.
6. Remove bad Random Access Memory (RAM)
If you have added Random Access Memory (RAM) to improve computer performance, it’s could be an underlying cause behind The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005) error message.
You can get rid of the problem by simply removing the RAM and then restarting the computer, in case the problem lies with the RAM modules.
Why am I getting an application error?
Applications errors are the ones that prevent the program from executing an operation and are usually caused due to problems with it. And contrary to common perception, the application doesn’t crash every time. Most of these often go unnoticed.
Other factors, too, are directly or indirectly responsible for the error. It could be that another program is creating conflicts, or the installed antivirus is not letting some of the operations complete.
No matter the cause, you can always fix application errors, though some might be trickier than others.
One of the solutions we have discussed here should help solve The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application error.
As this issue may be caused by spam, you should consider using one of the best e-mail scanning software available today to get rid of it.
Remember, you can always seek the help of an expert if you are unsure of yourself. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.